When getting an iPhone replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Apr 14, 2011.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

And you don't like it right when you get it at the store, can you ask for the old one back?

For example, my current iPhone 4 has a clicking sound on the left of the camera. I press down on the glass and it makes a loud clicking sound/ during calls too. People hear it on the phone.

So I want to take it in and replace it, but only if the replacement is not a yellow tinted screen.

Basically has anyone gotten a replacement at an Apple store, wasnt happy with it and asked for there old phone back and gotten it?

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Just tell the geek and be nice. They are really there to make you happy within limits.

They may choose to repair your clicking phone while you wait!:eek:

3. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Alright thank you. I hope so.

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

They probably won't give you your old device back but they let you inspect the new one. So take a look at it and see if there are any flaws, if so then ask for a different one.

5. elan123 macrumors 6502

sweet, a yellow tinted screen... "NEXT!"...

6. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

So they wont let me compare my current one with a replacement? Im calling today as I finally have time too. Ive tried calling 2x this morning but was hold more than 15 minutes.

7. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I wouldn't think so, but also if you pointed out a flaw in your new one they'd probably not give you that one. I think it is just a thing of they don't want a defective product out on the market. But I bet if you said you just want the old defective one back before the trade happens then you should be fine.

8. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Oh so I get the replacement and Im checking it out, but say it has another yellow screen, I would be allowed to ask for my old one back?

I mean, Im fine with the screen even though it clicks. The yellow screens I cannot stand at all.

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I just replied to your Private Message with a little longer story but in short, don't sign the repair form until you are satisfied with the replacement unit.

10. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Got it, Thank you. Think Im just going to hold on to this after all and try my luck when Im back in Orange County. I can't believe how many yellow screens there are now.

11. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

was sent this email about yellow screens

I can understand him not liking the situation. I've been using a iPhone4 for about a year now and it has a nice display. finally bought my wife a i4 about a week ago as a present via apple store website and this phone has a yellow tinted display.

I am working as a photographer, using to calibrate displays. speaking in kelvin I'd say my older iPhone4 has 4500 K, and the new one yellowish 6500 K.

this would not be such a problem as people like "warmer" colors regarding color temperature BUT at a certain BRIGHTNESS level, I have to ramp up the brightness of that new yellow tinted iPhone 4 far more than on my older iPhone4 to receive approximately the same brightness.

so the newer phones display drains the battery faster than the older ones - the difference in brightness of these two displays is remarkable.

and that IS a step back in quality.

12. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Has anyone ever compared there current iP4 with the replacement side by side and decided to keep your current one?

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

As far as I know, once they transfer the warranty to the new phone, they can't give you the old one back. They can however give you another new one immediately if there's something wrong (though it might be hard to convince them the yellow screen is a flaw).

I once took my 3GS in because the camera was seriously screwed up. Occasionally everything would turn pink, and then the phone would hardlock 5 minutes later. I figured out how to trigger it, so I demonstrated it to them, showed them how another 3GS (my dad's) didn't do the same thing, so they gave me a new one. I thank them leave the store, start driving back, and then the new phone did the *EXACT* same thing. They thankfully didn't give me any trouble and swapped the phone again. That one worked perfectly the rest of the time I had it (and it was an old bootrom phone too :D)