When I click on the hard drive...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by captain frys, Aug 26, 2008.

1. captain frys macrumors newbie

I have a bit of a problem, that not a big deal but annoys the crap out of me. I got my Mac back in March, and have grown to love it very much but all of a sudden the layout of my hard drive/finder window has changed. It used to list on the far left my hard drive, the user accounts, any computers linked to the network and so forth.

Now it just shows the hard drive icon and network icon. I can no longer simply click on my user name and go my documents and whatnot, now I have to select the hard drive, then users, then my user account and then whatever I want. I liked it the way it was before, any ideas?

Thanks so much!

-Apparently still Mac illiterate

Ok better explanation, I want it to list [devices, shared, places, search for] etc on the left, it does in some windows and not in others (like when I double click the HDD icon or click on the Finder icon in the dock)

Thx, again

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You should go the Finder Preferences from the Desktop (Finder-->Preferences) and click the "Sidebar" tab a the top of the window.

Checked items there will appear in the sidebar of windows while unchecked ones will not. I suspect some some glitch changed the checked items.

3. captain frys thread starter macrumors newbie

I found the sidebar options and unchecked then checked them all again and I'm having the same issue. If I click on a file I have on the desktop it'll show the sidebar, but If I double click the HDD icon or the Finder icon in the dock, I don't get a sidebar. I'm just frustrated is all. :mad:

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Oh, I couldn't understand what you were talking about. It's an easy fix. Open the Finder and look on the top right of the Finder window and you'll see that little oval shaped bubble. Click on it and your sidebar will reappear. It's a feature in OS X most people miss.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I may well have mis-interpreted your first post in that case- oops. :(

If you are not getting the sidebar at ALL, then clicking the little button with no title tucked in the far top right corner of the window will restore the sidebar.

That is far from clearly documented anywhere IMO!

Edit: oops HLDan beat me to it when I was typing.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

LOL, no worries, I agree, Apple has never really explained what that bubble does and it's not prominent enough for anyone to see.

7. captain frys thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much, yeah I didn't explain it all too well the first time. You guys are life savers! I feel at home again, lol :)