When I close the lid...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andrew83Ga, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Andrew83Ga macrumors regular

what happens? I assumed it goes to sleep, but I left Skype and Facebook chats open (I never logged out) when I closed the lid, and this morning I had messages like, "Are you there?", "You must be busy...". And when i open the lid the chat pops up immediately...

How do I change this in system preferences? That must mean everytime I've been thinking it's going to sleep, it hasn't been. That can't be good!!

Also I know nothing about technology.

Also thank you.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Does the light on the front right pulsate? If so, it sleeps.

Skype receives all the messages you didn't while your Mac was asleep right after it reconnects with the internet or are those messages visible right after being awakened?

Also have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. Andrew83Ga thread starter macrumors regular

thank you for the quick reply. Yes the light blinks when I shut it, I suppose the confusing thing is that obviously I still appeared online or connected to chat because people were asking if I was there and the I must be busy....in other words Skype and facebook chat didn't log off when I shut the lid. As long as it's not an issue with my computer, I don't care. I'll just remember to log off next time. Thanks again, and I'll go check some of those links

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's possible that skype is preventing the mac from sleeping. Reboot your mac, don't open any programs, and close the lid. Does it go to sleep then?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Strange behaviour, but if the light blinks slowly, the Mac is asleep, or do you hear any kind of noise coming from it during that?

Why Skype and Facebook is not showing you as offline is something I don't know, as when I was using Skype it at least showed me as offline during my Mac's sleep.