When I delete Time machine backups why does nothing happen?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by miklovo, May 28, 2011.

1. miklovo macrumors member

So I've gone to the "gears" button within Time Machine and deleted individual backups and I've located and deleted dated backup files in the finder window within "time machine backups" but no matter what I do I get no more free space on my TC. I've even emptied the trash can and still nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

2. miklovo thread starter macrumors member

should I just delete the sparsebundle and start from scratch? I need nothing from previous backups, really just the most recent one. As of right now my sparsebundle shows it's 360GB in size.

I know this is a bunch of Qs but I have a media folder containing 600GB of movies/music on my TC that runs iTunes right now. When TM is backing up does it copy that folder also every time? Is that why my TC filled up so fast? And can I just not backup that folder?

Sorry for the book....apple support makes it seem so easy but not the case for me..

Thanks!!

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Do you have separate partitions for your backups and your storage? If not, I suggest making an additional partition for backups. That way, it will automatically erase old backups as the partition gets filled and it won't mess with your data.

4. miklovo thread starter macrumors member

I assume I would need to re-format my TC to partion it?

If I partion say...200GB of space for backups it will work within those 200GB? deleting old backups accordingly?