When I download music from iTunes, how do I know I'm getting the highest quality?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Imola Ghost, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

Don't know much about iTunes downloads but when I buy music I want it to be the highest/best quality it can be. How do I know "before" I purchase/download the music that it will be the best quality?

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Everything is 256Kpbs AAC. The only way to get higher quality without DRM is to buy CDs (which are often cheaper than digital downloads).

3. nza macrumors member

The music you are downloading is not the best quality. Sorry.

4. greg555 macrumors 6502a

The regular iTunes songs used to be 128 kbps and the iTunes Plus songs were 256 kbps, but now they are all iTunes Plus.

Greg

5. ma2ha3 macrumors regular

ma2ha3

they are all not good enough.
    i have a wadia 17 ipod dock into krell amp, the difference between compress music aac and lossless is night and day.

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

But let's be honest here, the amount of people who have good enough ears to distinguish between the two AND earphones/ headphones/ speakers good enough to play lossless music well are a very small proportion of the market. Most people I know find it hard to tell the difference between 128kbps and a CD, let alone 256kbps AACs.

7. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Not for the vast majority of people.

Don't get me wrong, I have quite a few ALAC-encoded tracks in my library. But to use it for a lot of the music out there now is just wasteful. "Lord of the Rings: The Complete Collection" yes, the latest Jonas Brothers CD no.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you are asking, what's the best quality music, then you probably do not need what you seek.

If you know what you want, you would know AAC (mp4) is much better quality than Mp3. AAC works fine for most people, unless you have the harddrive space for loseless music.

9. jake921660 macrumors regular

I have all my music converted to 128 AAC and that is good enough for me on cheap headphones.

Does the 30 second preview of a song come through in full quality or is it converted down?