When I hear "the iPad is just a big iPod Touch..."

Discussion in 'iPad' started by paulisme, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulisme macrumors 6502

...I want to respond "in the same way an adult is just a big baby." Seriously, do folks with this opinion not have any imagination? How can they not see the potential for a large multi-touch device? Could an iPod Touch replace all your college textbooks? Can you do business presentations with your iPod Touch? Can you play a virtual piano that's big enough to be a practical way of creating music with an iPod Touch? Can you use your iPod Touch to immediately create a photo slideshow from your digital camera right there at the event where you took the photos? If you don't care about any of these features, then fine; just don't pretend they don't exist.

Sorry, I just get so frustrated when I hear this argument. I just needed to vent a little.

2. diabolic macrumors 68000

I saw someone else post "it's like saying a pool is just a big bathtub". :)

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There's also "It doesn't fit in your pocket, so you have to carry it in a bag, so you might as well carry a MacBook Pro." I always wonder if people who say that have no sense of weight. :confused:

4. paulisme thread starter macrumors 6502

And if you carry it in a bag, then you might as well carry a bowling ball since they're also carried in bags. And if you carry a bowling ball, you might as well carry a wrecking ball, because a wrecking ball is just a big bowling ball. Why can't you see the connections?

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

When I hear "the iPad is just a big iPod Touch"... I want to scream! I mean especially from graphic artists.

But I guess we will see what happens. I'm definitely pumped for Saturday! :)

6. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

(I normally try not to bump dupe threads but the ones linked upthread all seem weeks old.)

When I read this phrase, I think "You make it sound like that's a bad thing."

7. MiguelS macrumors regular

You have more issues than you think.

It is the internet. Enough said.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

When I read threads that have already been discussed to death, I want to respond try searching first

9. WLS macrumors 65816

Yea I have a Touch gen1 and have been waiting literally years for this.
    I guess the two best things you can say are (feel free to add):
    1 You say that like it's a bad thing.
    2 That's like saying a hot tub is just a big bathtub.

10. diabolic macrumors 68000

Same here. What exactly is bad about it? Even if that's all it was, I'd be happy, but with the larger screen, there is even more potential.

11. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

"I laugh at your tiny iPads."

That's the standard response from me.

12. CanonicalKoi macrumors regular

When I hear "the iPad is just a big iPod Touch..."
    You respond, "Size matters."

13. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I want to say, "Be quiet you poo poo diaper facehead."

14. Tech-Boy macrumors regular

WOW I love this post! :D

15. klrobinson999 macrumors 6502

the people who insist the iPad is nothing more than a big iPod Touch fall into one of two camps:

1)the unimaginative. They can't see the forest for the trees, and have a hard time visualizing all the possibilities. They are probably small-minded and should stay away from most technology anyway. ;)

2)the spoilsports. They simply want to bring down Apple and rain on everyone's parade. They are probably bitter, cruel, spiritless, and devoid of any semblance of humanity in their cynical bellies. They also need girlfriends. ;)

16. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

17. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

I don't get the complaint. A 17" Macbook Pro is just a bigger 15" Macbook Pro. Nobody claims that is some kind of defect.

18. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

It's an upgraded big ipod touch. The apps are going to be desktop/notebook like eventually, just give it some time.

19. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I can read my kindle ebooks on my Touch. If the schoolbook came in Kindle or epub (there's an app for that) then yes, my Touch could replace a slew of textbooks. There will always be some that can't be replace by either device, big or small. Right now I email all syllabi and class documents my students need to them and myself, and I can open and view them from the email app.
    Yes. Touch plus a video output cable. You'll need the VGA adapter, unless the Touch/iPhone video out cable works too.
    Yes again, and it's less of an instrument to hold. Do a Youtube search for "iPod Band".
    We don't know for sure if the camera kit will work on a Touch. If it does, then YES. We also don't know how much control over photos on the iPad you'll have. There have been dozens of time I've used my Touch to share a photo sequence. It's much easier to pass around, and more likely that I'll have it with me than the big iPad will be.

While I agree there will be apps to take great advantage of the larger resolution and size of the iPad's screen, Your belief in imagination should trust that Touch developers have most uses for a multitouch/g-sensor/location services enabled device covered already. Any larger app has yet to prove itself.

20. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

There's no doubt a 9.7 inch screen makes reading documents and ebooks WAYYYYYY easier. In many ways it is just a big ipod touch, but that isn't really a "bad" thing. One reason why apps on the ipod touch are limited is because you can fit only so many things on the screen.

21. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Screen size, touch screen, portability, anywhere web access = sweet spot for me

I could care less what the masses think

22. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I think that a laptop is just a portable desktop.

23. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I guess some people might consider the ipod touch = super portable iPad :p

24. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

the only people that say it are people that don't know much about it. once you show them the keynote they are like:eek:. Ipod touch is not half as capable as the ipad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.