When I install Leopard...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RossoA, Oct 6, 2007.

1. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Will I lose all my data etc?

I have an external HD but should I just back up everything just in case?

Just wanted to make sure as this will be my first OS upgrade on Mac :)

Thanks

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

You can upgrade, which works much like upgrading on Windows. (keeps all your files + apps etc)
    You can archive + install, which basically moves all of your files to a separate location and installs a fresh copy of the OS.
    You can erase + install, which does exactly what it sounds like.

Personally, I would recommend backing up all your files and then erase+installing... as I don't really ever trust upgrades, but it works fine for most people. :)

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

EDIT: Sorry, I have never installed a new OS and got it wrong in this post

This is kinda misleading, there are TWO options:

Archive and install - This keeps your files and apps etc, but gives you 10.5.0 instead of 10.4.x

Erase and Install - Gives you 10.5.0 with no additional apps

I recommend backing up, doing an Erase and Install, and then moving your data back...

4. hotdamn macrumors 6502

Psychofreak is wrong, there's definitely three options.

And I recommend the exact opposite, why go to the hassle of backing up if you can just upgrade. This is not Vista.

5. RossoA thread starter macrumors 6502

RossoA

Great, just what I wanted: two conflicting arguments.

I wanna keep everything, I only really back up iTunes purchases and college work so not everything is on my external HD.

Would 'archive and install' just let me upgrade and keep everything nice and dandy?

Can someone who has moved from OS X 10.3 to 10.4 or something so I know for sure?

Screenshots would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

6. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

If your data is on the external drive, and the external drive is a different volume than where the OS is installed, it will be unaffected by any type of install.

7. RossoA thread starter macrumors 6502

RossoA

Only some of the data is backed up on the external, a lot is still on my main system.

Just wanted to know how to do it when 10.5 comes out. :)

8. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

Here's my plan, same as I did with 10.4 and 10.3. I'm going to install to a different volume and boot from it. Spend some time kicking the tires and looking under the hood to be sure, all is stable and works as advertised. And to be sure my peripherals will have support.

Then, erase my primary drive and clone it over. This gives me the added benefit of defraging my hard drive in the process

I prefer not to use Archive & Install or Upgrade Install a) because I have full backups/clones b) the code in each version of X seems to get leaner and why drag old unused code around with me, if I don't have to?

You could also install using one of the 3 options mentioned. Then, use Migration Assistant to migrate it from "another drive or partition on this Mac".

That said, the decision is all yours of course. If you want easy, go for the Upgrade Install.

-mj

9. headhammer macrumors regular

here's an essentially useless piece of advice, which may drive you up the wall.

all methods here have advantages and disadvantages, but none of them will kill your computer, and there are easy way to iron out the creases in every case.

if you roll a dice, or close your eyes and point, or choose some other equally random method for choosing what to do, you'll be left with a path that won't require too much effort (but will require a little time), that will leave you with a really cool operating system.

me? i've always used the upgrade path.

(i'm the sort of person, when at a restaurant, if someone is having trouble choosing what to get, i say something 'helpful' like *pointing at menu without looking* "try this, it's really yummy". the mac os is a great restaurant, and whatever you choose from the menu will be cooked to perfection and very tasty ;) )

10. RossoA thread starter macrumors 6502

RossoA

LOL!

That was the most helpful post on the whole thread.

Thanks! :)

Close It.

11. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I pray that upgrading on OSX turns out to be NOTHING like on windows.

Flip a coin, either way you should be fine as long as you always always have a backup:)

12. hotdamn macrumors 6502

I highly doubt Leopard will leave any unused Tiger code lying around.

Worst scenario is, some now unneeded lines in some .plist files.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is recommended that you keep a backup. That is good advice no matter which computer running which OS you have.

As for how you should install Leopard, there is the Mac-User Way and the Windows-User Who Just Happens To Be on a Mac Way. The Mac Way is a simple upgrade. When done, all of your files are in place and you get immediately to work.

The Windows-User Who Just Happens To Be on a Mac Way is either Archive & Install or Erase & Install. Apple provides these techniques to fix vexing problems that you cannot fix with less radical means. They are not intended for regular upgrades and maintenance. Would you take your car to a body shop because it needs to be washed? And when you get your new OS installed, you are still not done. You will have hardly begun because you still have to restore settings, documents, and applications.

If a simple upgrade goes bad, then you still have the option of using a radical procedure. In 99.99% of the cases, everything will go fine. You will be using your Mac running the new OS for hours before your erase-and-install friends restore everything.

14. grinnelljd macrumors newbie

I upgraded from Jaguar to Panther and then later from Panther to Tiger; no need to perform an erase and reinstall. Everything works fine.

As others have pointed out, just be sure to have backups of your files before installing Leopard.

15. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

will murphy's law make it that when i upgrade to leopard i have to upgrade to 8.1 on my power mac and xp pro from xp home on my dell??? :D

BACK UP no matter WHAT!!!
    then archive and install.

that's what i'd do!

16. hotdamn macrumors 6502

listen to this guy, he's got it right.

17. bov macrumors 6502

how long does it usually take to upgrade OS's?

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It depends almost entirely on the hardware. However long the upgrade takes, the erase and install methods takes about five times as long.

Another piece of advice you can either take or leave: Don't be the first to upgrade. Wait for the dust to settle -- a week or two, at the very least. Let others bleed. Then, if everything seems to be going well for those who must be first, just do the upgrade, the way Apple intended.

19. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Does someone have a good guide to all the folders and files that should be backed up and upgraded once an Erase Install is done?

I figure:

> Apps
    > Docs
    > Movies
    > Music
    > Pictures
    ? > Library - or should it be only parts of the library

.Mac sync

Maybe separate backups of Address Book, Delicious Monster, iTunes xml, record of Apps to re-download and install...

Maybe a keychain backup...not sure the best way to do that.

Any advice?

20. hotdamn macrumors 6502

.mac backs up your keychain.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Click "upgrade" and forget the rest.

22. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I recommend avoiding the Upgrade option. It was buggy in Tiger and I expect that it'll be buggy in Leopard. Bear in mind that the majority of developers are doing clean installs, not upgrades, so there is typically much less testing done in this area.

24. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I know - but I dont trust computers so a backup would be nice to have.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I did an upgrade on my laptop and didn't have any issues, but there isn't much on it. It's a SR MBP. It was installed as a new installation on another hard drive on my Mac Pro, but I tried an Archive and Install on another drive after Carbon Copy Cloning my existing Tiger installation with the WWDC version a few months ago and it worked fine as well.

I recommend Archive and Install in most cases, but always back up just in case.