When I load files to new Macbook, it crashes

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bryan.cfii, Apr 1, 2017.

1. bryan.cfii macrumors member

So this macbook works great, until I load my files, then this in the pictures happens. Any ideas of what "this" is?

Attached Files:

2. DeltaMac, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017

DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Wow - you seem to be really struggling with your new MacBook!
    BestBuy must know you by name by now. :D

Anyway, your pictures show what appears to me to be a failing graphics chip.
    Boot to your Diagnostics test
    (Restart - holding the d key)
    Does that pass?

What are you using to "load your files"? That is, what are you doing at that time?
    Are you plugging in an external drive, then it crashes?

If the diagnostics pass - I suggest that you boot to the Recovery system, and reload macOS.
    If there is still a hardware problem, then I expect the reload will likely fail, too.

In THAT situation, box it up, and take it back to "Best" buy. (again)

3. bryan.cfii thread starter macrumors member

I know it DeltaMac... It has been almost everything that could go wrong at this point. Such bad luck this time around.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2017 ---
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2017 ---
    My big concern is I really don't understand the issue as I've never had issues with my apple computers like this. I mean, there is nothing about dragging files onto a computer that normally does this is there? The problem seems unrelated, but it sure does seem to coincide with the loading of files. I don't get what taxes the graphics by filling the HD space. I don't think anything. So I just don't get it.

Could there be some directory issue with the files on the external HD that's messing OS X up? I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Yes, and that's also my point. All those screen artifacts/screen tearing/whatever you want to call it, is not normal.
    To me, looks like a graphics chip that is warning you that there is a hardware problem.
    File copying, per se, does not particularly cause whelming stress to anything (other than the boot drive), certainly not loading down the graphics.
    So, graphics glitches when just copying files should be a good reason to try those "experts" at BB again.

Did you try the built-in diagnostics yet?

You might also try a Disk Utility test on your external (selecting that external drive, then clicking on First Aid.)

- It's kind of a shame that you aren't very close to an Apple store. What is it - 100 miles or so to Des Moines?
    "Geek squad" doesn't impress me on anything, but maybe your local crew is better than what I have around Delaware.

5. bryan.cfii thread starter macrumors member

Well I did do the built in diagnostics and it always came back as no problems.
    Apple referred me to their local technicians (under warranty) and they okayed the machine twice believe it or not. BestBuy are clueless LOL. They saw the screen and just said exchange it LOL.

The external just checked out okay.

It is a shame I'm so far because this is a major pain in the rear LOL.

Thanks for taking the time to converse! I appreciate bouncing this off someone.

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

hmm... So, you couldn't get the internal screen to show the problem for an Apple tech, but BestBuy saw the screen , and duplicated your issue?
    And, by external, you mean that BestBuy tried an external screen, which did NOT show the problem at all?
    And, BestBuy offered to exchange your MBP?
    Did you do the exchange? (I would)
    Is this your second - or third?

Wait! - - What are you using for an external drive, how long have you had it, and what kind of connection cable are you using to connect to your MBook?