When I minimise anything, MS Word becomes smaller... and moves screen.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wallstreetcrash, Nov 12, 2008.

1. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

Basically, I am using my MacBook (latest Leopard) with an external monitor.

I move my Word to the external monitor side. And say I minimise/open a minimised window form the dock, Word moves to the MB screen and becomes smaller.

It is frustrating me, what am I doing wrong? How do I fix it, thanks!

wsc

2. wallstreetcrash thread starter macrumors regular

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I believe this is a bug in Word and nothing can be done about until MS fixes it.

Oh, and by the way, bumps are frowned upon.

4. wallstreetcrash thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah sorry about bumping, but I just can't live with Word keeping on moving around! It is frustrating.

Thanks, do you have that bug as well?

Might have to get Open Office :(

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, but I only use one monitor.

6. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Which version of Word are you using? Are you up-to-date with your patches?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

7. wallstreetcrash thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

I am using Word Version 12.0.0 (071130), from Word:Mac 2008.

I will update and see how it goes. I just read online that updating causes some problems with saying the product is unauthorized and don't want to get into any hassle.

Thanks again, I will report back

8. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Update problems are pretty rare, and usually only occur if you've messed with your Office installation in some way. The four most common ways of doing this are as follows:
    1. You've run an app like Monolingual or Xslimmer to remove language files or architectures.
    2. You've manually removed anything from the Office folder (instead of running the Remove Office tool to get rid of stuff you don't need).
    3. You've moved your Office installation from the Applications folder to anywhere else.
    4. You are using an invalid Product Identifier key.

If you've done (1) or (2), you're going to have to reinstall. While you're reinstalling, make sure that you do a custom install so that you're not installing stuff you don't use. For example, I always do a custom install and de-select all the proofing tools for other languages, 'cause I know that the Norwegian proofing tools aren't going to be of any use to me. :)

If you've done (3), you should be able to fix the issue by moving it back to the Applications folder. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to reinstall. I've heard of some workarounds for this, such as the one outlined here, but any kind of workaround like this is done at your own risk. I haven't tried it myself, and if it somehow breaks your Office installation in new and interesting ways, you'll have to reinstall.

If you've done (4), you'll need to get a valid Product Identifier key.

Regards,
    Nadyne.