When I receive 3Gs, how to upgrade on my Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidlw, Jun 15, 2009.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

When I get my 3Gs, how do I add/switch from the 3G phone to the 3Gs phone on my Mac thru iTunes? Will it automatically load all of the info onto the new phone? Will it automatically hook me up to MobileMe? Will it automatically load all of my old programs? Do I need to backup my old 3G phone before I do anything?

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

it will automatically sync everything you have checked over to your 3gs

3. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Does this go for the older 2G iPhones too? Will I get all my text messages and notes transferred over too? or do I need to back them up some how?

I'm planning on going into the store on Friday and getting my 3GS and want to make sure I know what to expect... Will it be usable immediately?

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Make sure you sync and backup your 3G. When you plug it into iTunes you'll want to restore from backup to have all your txts/notes/settings/etc saved and transfered to the new phone. After that you will have to re-sync all your media (like music, apps, videos, etc) because these are not saved in the backup... but their data is (or should be, if the developer did it right).

This is the same no matter what iPhone you have.

They will activate it in the store for you, probably. You can probably ask them to if they don't. It will be usable as soon as it is activated, but it won't have all your data back on until you do a restore from your own computer. If you have mobile me (or other exchange/push email) then set up that email as soon as you get it and it will download all your contacts/calendars/emails for you.

6. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Sounds like it should all be fine :)

I plan to take my personal laptop ( my primary mac ) with me so I can get it all sorted out as soon as I can back to the office from the shop.

Thanks very much for your help! ;)