When I restart my computer, the entire network disconnects

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MaskedPhantom, Feb 21, 2014.

1. MaskedPhantom macrumors regular

MaskedPhantom

Hi all,

I have a rather strange problem. My MacBook is old. I find it works best when I restart it every night before bed. However, upon completion of restart I find that my network will not connect to the Internet. It is not only my computer- it affects all four Windows machines on the network, as well. My router is an ASUS RT-N56U. As far as I can tell, it has the latest firmware. The only way to fix this problem is to unplug the router for a few seconds, and then plug it back in. This does not happen when I restart any of the Windows computers.

I know you probably need more specifics, but I don't know what else could possibly be relevant. Other tidbits: I have a VPN client set as a start-up item on the 'Book. In a possibly related event, sometimes when I access my website's FTP server via the app Transmit, the network also disconnects.

Thanks for any help you can give me! The problem has been vexing me for a few weeks now. :confused:

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Sounds like a bug in the routers firmware. Can you upgrade it?

3. MaskedPhantom thread starter macrumors regular

MaskedPhantom

Well, turns out the firmware was in fact out of date. I have upgraded it and will see if it causes any issues.