When I sync ringtones my music is deletee

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gasport, Jun 26, 2009.

1. gasport macrumors 6502

gasport

There was a post a year ago about this but no definitive answer. I created some ringtones in garageband and synced with the iPhone. No problem. I then wanted to add a few songs manually and checked this option off. I then created a new ringtone and did another sync. It indicated I would loose all music, movies, etc. I did this and it did delete all the music.

Is there a way to sync ringtones and not loose the music on the iPhone? If I uncheck manually manager music and movies, will that keep the music? I do not want auto sync as I only want selected music on the iPhone and not everything in the Library. :confused:

2. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

You have to drag and drop them. Autosyncing will delete music since I think iTunes treats the ringtones as music files.

3. ASTMedic macrumors newbie

Ditto

It took me a few times to figure out why my ringtones kept getting deleted.

4. gasport thread starter macrumors 6502

gasport

So basically never sync ringtones. You would think Apple would figure this one out.

Why would it also delete other items like movies? :confused:

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Are you syncing with two different computers?

I sync ringtones, music, movies, etc. without any trobles. Nothing gets removed.

But, try to sync music with one computer and ringtones with another and you'll have some issues.

6. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Yeah, I sync ringtones without any issues. Music isn't touched during the process. Did you have your music sync setup before you established the sync for ringtones? I'm not sure it should matter, but I definitely had my music sync already established before I decided to start playing around with ringtones.