When I try to format my Western Digital "MyBook" external drive, I get an error..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seenew, Aug 19, 2008.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

It says "could not unmount the disk."
    What does this mean, and how do I fix it?

Also, what's the difference between Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and not journaled?

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You might have to recreate the partition table… Like where it says GUID, MBR, etc. Well it fixed mine when I changed it.

And Journal is if you want Spotlight indexing.

3. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

Thanks for the reply!

I tried repartitioning it just now as you suggested, and it gives the same error of "could not unmount the disk" :(

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Does the drive show up on your desktop? That is what happens when the drive is mounded. Unmounting the drive means to eject it, or take it off the desktop.

I agree that partitioning it (GUID) and formatting it (Mac OS Extended Journaled), is what you want - assuming there isn't anything on the drive you care about...

5. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

I got it to work by booting from the install disk and using Disk Utility from there, in case anyone was wondering.

6. bugsnelson macrumors newbie

bugsnelson

Format WD MY BOOK for Mac

This worked for me; all the previous suggestions did not-
    First, there is a firmware update for the My Book Home Editions. Whether this was a factor in my favor or not, after failing with the above suggestions, I then installed the update and yet still could not use the previously suggested measures. Nonetheless, the firmware update is installed.
    I continued to get the error message [unable to unmount].
    I used the Disk Utility PARTITION on my internal HD on the My Book, but I partitioned it with ONE partition, and chose the GUID table option.
    I then was able to format the drive to HPS+ (journaled) with the ERASE function.
    Best wishes.

7. freddyvb macrumors newbie

Thanks, I had the same problem and this worked.

8. bugsnelson macrumors newbie

bugsnelson

Format WD MY BOOK HOME EDITION for Mac

Good. Disk Utility would not allow me to use the ERASE function to re-format. That's why I used PARTITION with one partition with GUID with the journaled formatting. ERASE would then function, which indicated I had fixed the issue. I have since then formatted a second WD MY BOOK, this one an original ESSENTIAL EDITION and had success using the same process.
    Happy New Year, everyone!

9. betototo macrumors newbie

same problem

Hi i try all the suggestions and it still not working, actually i can see the hard drive on my desktop, but when i try to open it it looks like its empty

please HELP!!!!!