When I turn iPhone on, Apple Logo eventually fades and shuts off and is unresponsive

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by matstars, Oct 1, 2009.

1. matstars macrumors newbie

What's up. Oh the humanity.... background: I've had the iPhone 3G since it came out (July of 2008).

I jailbroke the phone around July of 2009 and around one month ago (end of August) and I was in the middle of a scrabble game when the screen faded and eventually shut off. It was totally unresponsive when not plugged in. I plugged it in and the Apple Logo showed up for about 10 seconds before fading away. I managed to get the phone into DFU mode and restored the phone to factory settings. I decided against jailbreaking the phone again, I upgraded to 3.1 and experienced some issues with intermittent shutdowns which seemed to be a problem with 3.1. During these shutdowns the phone typically rebooted fine - about 4 or 5 times it would not reboot by simply pressing power, by trial and error I figured out that it would boot up if I plugged the phone in, saw the apple logo and then unplugged the phone.

Rewind to yesterday, deja vu, playing scrabble, phone faded and shut off. I had the same symptoms, the phone would not turn on, I plugged it in and this time it turned on and operated as normal for 5 minutes or so, the battery was just about full, before shutting down. After that I plugged the phone in and it would display the apple logo and then fade and shut off.

I got the phone into DFU mode again and restored my last backup and the phone still would not turn on, it would display the apple logo and fade away. Once or twice (in about 30 tries) the phone turned on, (had a full battery) stayed on for about 5 minutes, then faded, froze, and eventually shut down. I tried everything. Tried turning it on with it plugged in and unplugging - that didn't work, the phone turned off. I tried restoring again - same problems. I tried holding both power and home - nothing.

I have done a ton of research and have not seen this exact issue (or my research skills are terrible). Has anyone seen/heard of this?

The phone currently is not jailbroken and I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tonight. My wife also has the iphone and is eligible for an upgrade - if necessary I will upgrade her phone and then swap the sims and take the new iphone (I offered to just take hers and she take the upgrade but she didn't care). I really do not want to spend any extra money and am happy with this phone and want to wait for the next upgrade.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MatStars

2. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Well, I am not sure what the Genius' will be able to do for you since it's over a year old. You may have to just upgrade to a new one. I can't think of anything you are doing incorrectly... You covered all you're bases. Good luck!

3. matstars thread starter macrumors newbie

OK Thanks. Thanks for the luck too! :eek: