When I turn on Macbook Pro, screen won't come on until 2nd try.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bhsu21, Dec 30, 2009.

1. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

I've had my Macbook Pro for almost 3 years next month and have never had problems with it.

However just starting this week my screen is having problems.

When I turn it on, sometimes I'll hear the startup music but the screen will still be black. Or the sleep light will come on, no sound, but the screen is still black.

So I hold down the power button till it turns off. Then I push it again and this time it starts up normally and the screen comes on.

When it goes to sleep for a long period of time, the screen will still be black when I try to wake it up. The sleep light will be on though. So then I have to hold down the power button to shut it off. Then turn it back on and the screen will come on.

Anyone have this problem before? Solutions to this?

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

3. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

This could be the beginnings of a huge internal problem. I personally would take it into a repair center and have it looked at. What you are experiencing is certainly not normal.

4. bhsu21 thread starter macrumors 6502

would taking it to the Apple store be sufficient?

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Where else? But I'd get that hard drive backed up ASAP. I suspect a hard drive failure is imminent.

6. bhsu21 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm backing it up right now as we speak. I'll make an appointment with the Apple store soon. Thanks.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Good for you. Hopefully your issue isn't too serious. One word of advice for you, don't wait until your Mac starts to have problems to start backing up your stuff. You could have had a dead hard drive and never get your stuff off of it. Always backup period. :) Not enough people take this seriously until it's too late.