When iMac wakes from sleep, no internet

Discussion in 'iMac' started by onthecouchagain, Aug 22, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

For whatever reason, when my iMac wakes from full sleep, it doesn't seem to have an internet connection even though it says it's connected in System Preference > Networks (via ethernet cable), and even though my router shows all signals okay.

It isn't until I open my Air, and have that connect to the internet (more proof my connection is okay) that the iMac starts actually going to websites.

What gives? Anyone else experience this?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

What OS are you running? Have you done any DNS tweaking?

3. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

4. icemantx macrumors regular

Same issue on an early 2010 MacBook Pro 13" and an early 2009 iMac 24". It is frustrating because on the MacBook Pro, it is connected to the TimeMachine backup drive connected to the Airport Extreme. When the MacBook wakes up, it immediately tries to backup the computer resulting in an error message about could not backup. Then after the internet is back up on the MacBook, I get this annoying sparsebundle is in use message.

Is there some way to keep the internet connection alive on these machines even when they go to sleep?

I am also using Lion 10.7.1

5. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

I have been having the same problem with my Thunderbolt 27 inch iMac. No matter what setting I change, when coming out of sleep the internet won't work right away. It will finally work by itself from 30 seconds to 1 minute, even when Network says Ethernet is available. By the way, I am running through Ethernet, not WIFI. I have heard that people with Lion have been having this problem, but it is through WIFI.

For me I have gone into Network and set service order to make Ethernet first. I am using Airport Extreme, and changed all settings that were suggested on the web.

The only good thing is that it will work, but it does take time to work coming out of sleep. It is not instantaneous. Wonder if there is a way to get it instant on.

The odd thing is that I have bootcamp, with Windows 7 on it, and internet works fine out of Sleep mode. So, I guess it is a Mac software problem. I have Lion 10.71 installed.

6. Beach Guy macrumors member

I've had my 27 inch imac for a few weeks. I'm still running SL and have the same problem. It doesn't happen every time, but enough to be annoying. after about 5 to 10 seconds the internet connects. I'm wired, not using wireless.

7. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Yeah I've just experienced this problem today as well, very annoying. Also iTunes doesn't open which is very annoying. Hope there's a fix for both of these soon.

8. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

Has anyone found a fix for the losing internet coming out of sleep mode through ethernet in Lion. Apple can't figure out how to fix it or what is causing it.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

9. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

This is what I have experienced as well in SL and Lion too. I figure this was a normal function of waking from sleep. Initially this is what i thought the OP was experiencing but symptoms seems bit different...