When in 2012 would the new Macbook Pros be released?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rnsinclair, Aug 18, 2011.

  1. rnsinclair macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2011
    #1
    I don't need a new Macbook now, but I will need it next year when I go to college. Yes, I've read the previous threads with people saying, "You can play the waiting game forever, etc etc." But the the thing is, I bought my current Macbook Pro about two months before the release of the Unibody Macbook Pros. I don't want to miss out on a major overhaul again! My current Macbook Pro is pretty outdated... it still runs on Leopard! I expected an OS upgrade after Snow Leopard (I didn't really think it was worth upgrading at the time because my Mac was only about a year old), so I waited. I didn't expect Lion to be unavailable to users of Leopard. :/

    School would start in late August, so should I buy my Macbook the spring before that? Or should I wait until around October/November? If the latter, should I upgrade my current OS now?
     
  2. Sevastos macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2011
    Location:
    Karpathos, Greece
    #2
    If you check the Buyers Guide you will see that the last 3 updates of MBP came out about 10 months apart from each other, so I believe the next ones will be either Late 2011 or Early 2012 (Dec/11 or Jan/12)

    Until then, I think you should upgrade to Snow Leopard at least
     
  3. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    Location:
    Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada
    #3
    No one knows. Apple keeps it top secret until launch day.
     
  4. mystik610 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2011
    #5
    Rumor has it its sometime between January and December. Book it!
     
  5. theSeb macrumors 604

    theSeb

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Location:
    Poole, England
    #6
    30th of February
     
  6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2011
    #7
    oh my god not one of these threads again.

    no one wil know until they are released.

    mostly like early next year.

    apple has pretty much updated there entire mac line,a dn the pros were just updated in february which wasnt even that long ago. they ahve no reason to update them
     
  7. L0s7man macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    #8
    So let's flip the question... Is there any new hardware available that Apple could use to bump MBP specs? Any CPU bump will be insignificant. Is there any new GPU they could use? There aren't many options here really...

    For a spec bump:
    1. CPU -> somewhat faster model?
    2. HDD -> 240GB SSDs are still pricey, so I wouldn't expect anything here
    3. GPU -> don't know; is there anything new out there?

    I'd expect Apple to get slightly faster CPU for Christmas and advertise it as "New and faster Macbook Pro" and that's pretty much it.
     
  8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

    dusk007

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    #9
    If you check the buyers guide closely, you will notice that the time between releases is increasing and as pretty much every sane person expects there will be no new MBP without Intel 22nm Ivy Bridge CPUs and those are showing up at the earliest early 2012 with a possible delay to the 2nd or even 3rd Quater, which means new MBP probably prop up in Februar the earliest possible, more likely in April or even later.

    The only thing that will show up sooner is the 200Mhz speed bump on most of the products. Why? Because Intel already released 2760QM and 2860 QM which sell for the same price as the old 2720QM and 2820QM the two CPU that are in the 2.2 and 2.3 GHz Models. The new ones are 2.4 and 2.5 Ghz.
    This might happen anytime now. If is only a minor refresh so it might not be anything more than some press release. Or nothing at all and they simply start selling the new chips without any word.
     
  9. pjmccarthy99 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    #10
    Will this small bump or new performance increase mean any discount on the existing models ? Looking to pick up a 2.0ghz.
     
  10. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

    Titanium81

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2011
    #11
    ya the old ones will all be 1/2 off :)
     
  11. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    #12
    Not unless you buy used. It'll mean the discontinuation of first gen Sandys.
     
  12. pjmccarthy99 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    #13

    So what your telling me is that if in October there is a small bump in performance a 15" 2.0ghz will still be sold at the same price as today ?

    Sorry I guess as a newbie I figured Apple would knock some $$$ off the price to get rid of them.
     
  13. PurpleMarmalade macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2010
    #14
    Guys, that isn't funny. Everyone knows it's March 6th.
     
  14. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    #15
    Did Apple discount the 3gs when the 4 came out? No, they simply started selling the 4 and stopped offering the 3gs. Did the Macbook get a price reduction before giving its last breath? No, it simply stopped being offered.

    The third party vendors may choose to offer a "discount" to clear inventory, but don't expect anything major. Since when has Apple products had difficulty leaving the shelf? Not since they transitioned from creating their own hardware to copying [but making better] others.
     
  15. Vulcan macrumors 65816

    Vulcan

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #16
    The past couple releases have been a little over 300 days apart. This would most likely put the next release in January. Given the anticipated fall release of the iPhone 5, iOS 5, and the iPods, a Mac update would best fit in the winter.
     
  16. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

    gorskiegangsta

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2011
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #17
    Q: When in 2012 would the new Macbook Pros be released?

    A: When Apple Feels Like it. (i.e. no one knows for sure, although it'll probably be in Q1 2012)
     
  17. aluren macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    #18
    A month before the iPad 3. So around March 2012. Too long of a wait if you ask me.
     
  18. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Location:
    Boca Raton, FL
    #19
    ummm, yes. the 3gs is $50 now...
     
  19. wiregen macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2004
  20. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    #21
    $50 with contract is... higher than a lot of smartphones today.
     
  21. rnsinclair thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2011
    #22
    Thanks for everyone who tried to give real answers. I mean, in 2008 they upgraded the MBP line twice: first in February, then in October. I bought mine in August thinking that it would be another year before the next upgrade, and I just don't want to make such a mistake again.

    Again, thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll just wait until right before school starts, and if there are no huge rumors or leaks then I'll buy my MBP then.

    So for the next year... is it really worth it to upgrade to Snow Leopard/Lion? Are they really that much better?
     
  22. shyam09 macrumors 68000

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #23
    nono it won't be early 2012 as a poster said [well it might be but..]
    keep in mind that intel's Ivy Bridge is coming out the first half of 2012!! so apple will probably embrace that like they did sandy bridge [but then again that's up to apple to decide]

    damn apple makes me so frustrated :p
     

Share This Page