When in Feb will the SDK be released and how long till we get apps.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ert3, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

IS anyone else bothered by the fact Steve Jobs said that apple was trying its best to get the SDK to developers in Late february and how long do you think it will take for iPHone apps to be released?

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I believe that it will be released (with an update) in the last week of Feb.
    And i also believe that a hand full of companies already have it and there will be a few apps available the day of the release / Update...

3. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

I believe the release date was recently moved to "late" february. As far as the actual release of the apps, I would expect something to show for the last few months' delay. I mean, hasn't apple been working with developers in preparation for this late february date? Its going to be interesting to see how mch control apple maintains over who gets to develop...

4. murdoc158 macrumors regular

5. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Maybe they will release an app created by the SDK when the next iPhone update comes. :)

6. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

From the other rumors on here (slingbox, etc). They may have already farmed out the SDK stuff that is needed for companies to begin work on apps. I am sure they wouldn't release an SDK and then say, sorry you need to wait for someone to develop stuff for it. They will surely have atleast a few good apps on release.

7. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Bothered, why? I know it sounds fanboyish of me, but the fact that they're releasing one at all is kind of amazing.

As for the second, my totally unvarnished, unsubstantiated, and unsupported opinion:

1. The SDK has already been released to certain major players to get a jumpstart on app development (please, please, please give me a native, syncable Quicken client).
    2. The SDK will see "general" release on the 26th or the 29th of February I don't, however, think there will be a "go to the website and download it" level of openess to the release.
    3. There will be maybe 2-3 apps available on release date, but they won't be much of anything special.
    4. Beyond that, I expect at least 1-2 months before the next apps show up. We'll have a bumper crop of people developing phones, but a) Apple's certification process costs will act as an inhibitor to most smaller developers, and b) the time it takes for Apple to certify, digitally sign/encrypt, and put an app up on iTunes will bloat the average app's time-to-release.
    5. If anyone thinks they'll see SSH, Summerboard, an IM client, or a Skype client as an Apple approved app, they need to put down the crack pipe.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I believe Sling already said that they didn't get an early copy. That was just typical wishful thinking that gets repeated all over.

I have to say though, that Sling would be my first purchase. Currently I use a cheap non-contracted Windows Mobile phone with WiFi around the house to watch remote TV from my Slingbox. I would love to be able to use my iPod Touch instead.

9. oldimac macrumors regular

February 26 Release Date

February 26 release date and a dozen good apps!

Any takers?

10. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

good to know hard-case has it all figured out for us :rolleyes:

11. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Haha. Isn't it though? Ha, I am so excited, it's [presumably] almost here! Well....February is...