When installing Mac OS X Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by paddywhack19, Oct 16, 2007.

1. paddywhack19 macrumors newbie

hi
    When i go to install Leopard, well my i life applications get wiped of my mac, or well it carry over from tiger to Leopard automatically? would like too get some advice.

Cheers!!!

2. unity macrumors 6502a

Your just replacing or updating the OS. Nothing is whipped off. Now certain apps may need updating to work with Leopard, but fro the most part you are fine. Just dont chose the "erase" option during install! lol

3. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

That is a good question I was planning on doing a clean install when installing leopard, does this mean I need to make backups of my iLife and iWork?

4. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

archive and install

As it says elsewhere in this forum if you choose Archive and Install all your apps will be safe. Of course if you choose a clean install, they will all be erased.

5. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

What exactly does Archive mean? Will it backup the drive, then wipe it clean and install? Or just backup and upgrade? Thanks!

6. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Archive and install

The process will leave your programs alone, and copy the OS directory to an other directory then install the new one; which I guess is therefore a clean install. When you boot with the new OS you will have the option of deleting the old OS folder. I am sure it is more complex then I just described, as I got this information off of this forum.

7. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Sounds like the most efficient way to go. Thanks!