Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loco69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
hI

I really like IOS4 over IOS3

• Multitasking
  • IBOOS PDF SAVE
  • FOLDERS

and few other features i wish i could have right now on my IPAD.
anyone got idea when we will see beta's of this coming for the IPAD?

Loco69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
so how dev's will able come with their apps on time?
and how really apple can test it without the help of dev to make it bug free

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
Just register as a developer and you can download the beta now, I'm pretty sure. It may cost you $99, but I think you might be able to register for free as a Safari extension developer to get this little perk. One of my students, a smart-aleck 9th-grader, was showing off the 4.0 beta on his iPhone months ago.

I'm tempted to try this myself but I use the iPad as a daily working tool and I don't want to screw things up.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
Just register as a developer and you can download the beta now, I'm pretty sure. It may cost you $99, but I think you might be able to register for free as a Safari extension developer to get this little perk. One of my students, a smart-aleck 9th-grader, was showing off the 4.0 beta on his iPhone months ago.

I'm tempted to try this myself but I use the iPad as a daily working tool and I don't want to screw things up.

You can register to be part of the developer program for free, which will get you access to RELEASE builds of the SDK, but to get any of the Beta stuff, you have to have one of the $99/yr pay licenses (which is the same one that lets you deploy any code you write onto your own devices and submit apps to get put on the app store.)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
This. It will probably be in the music keynote that's on September 8th.

I bet it's separate and held at Apple's campus geared toward developers. iOS 4 for iPad won't be exactly the same as the iPhone version. The multi-tasking view will need to be different, etc. Hopefully, Apple will use the extra few months to further distinguish the iPad from the iPhone at least in terms of UI.

I would like to see Dashboard widgets added also. Jobs hinted they may be working on that and they recently pulled all widget-like apps from the App Store.

itsmyipad

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
I bet it's separate and held at Apple's campus geared toward developers. iOS 4 for iPad won't be exactly the same as the iPhone version. The multi-tasking view will need to be different, etc. Hopefully, Apple will use the extra few months to further distinguish the iPad from the iPhone at least in terms of UI.

I would like to see Dashboard widgets added also. Jobs hinted they may be working on that and they recently pulled all widget-like apps from the App Store.

I ain't no mathmagitiion however you spell it, but Steve+bill=$= the Ipad is either going to have a windows 7 type view, or complete windows integration.

The world don't see what the Ipad represents ....This thing is a big remote for your central PC which can control everything in your home, lights,AC, TV, saving power&$. For a disabled person thing will return a sense of freedom.

heavensblade23

macrumors regular
May 11, 2008
^I highly doubt that. Stop trying to shoehorn your last-gen ideas into a next-gen device.

What's so next-gen about it? It's just a tablet. Tablets have been done before, they just haven't been done well and cheaply. In six months there will be a ton of them on the market.

Briview

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

You're right... that could happen too!

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
What's so next-gen about it? It's just a tablet. Tablets have been done before, they just haven't been done well and cheaply. In six months there will be a ton of them on the market.

We shall see...

Prior attempts have all failed miserably because they've tried to shoehorn a full PC/notebook + full desktop OS with little to no UI changes to support the use case.

What I see in a lot of the others coming out soon is much more of the same - USB ports, SD slots, cameras, full Windows 7, or at best Android (which after playing with a friend's Evo, I'm sorry just still isn't there in terms of UI and feels too much like you need to be a Linux geek hacker to enjoy.)

I could be wrong, but one thing Apple has done VERY well over the last 10-20 years has been to really look at everything in the system and say "Do you REALLY need this? Can we get rid of it? How does somebody really USE this stuff?" much more so than the competition.

itsmyipad

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
^I highly doubt that. Stop trying to shoehorn your last-gen ideas into a next-gen device.

I guess Steve n Bill was just talking about pu**y

It's really not last Gen to think the way I do,...a tablet that is totally compatible with the users home PC (the central processor for homes everywhere) saving home owners mihundreds of thousands conserving power not to mention the multimedia capabilities it would have - you go over your friends house you start a movie on your iPad but your able to stream it to his PC which is plugged into his big 50 in LG with the SONY surround sound ... So now JR is on the phone he invites a few friends over etc

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
itsmyipad said:
I guess Steve n Bill was just talking about pu**y

It's really not last Gen to think the way I do,...a tablet that is totally compatible with the users home PC (the central processor for homes everywhere) saving home owners mihundreds of thousands conserving power not to mention the multimedia capabilities it would have - you go over your friends house you start a movie on your iPad but your able to stream it to his PC which is plugged into his big 50 in LG with the SONY surround sound ... So now JR is on the phone he invites a few friends over etc

I'm not sure it's last gen either. This idea of a "central processor for homes everywhere" is older than that. I think Kate Wohlheim wrote a novel about this back in the 80s (the computer goes berserk, of course, and mayhem ensues). Kind of seems like some kind of smart thermostat would be an easier way to implement it.

The other part sounds like the, um, vision Steve Ballmer has been articulating lately: everything is a PC, so everything should run Windows. And I suppose if this were 1996, the vision might seem plausible, if depressing. Now it just seems kind of stale. Not even retro, like the "central home processor" idea, which has a certain Forbidden Planet charm.

The thought that the future lies with clunky Dell or Acer tablet PCs running an uninspired Microsoft OS ... this is more like those late, derivative cyberpunk novels in which the future is All Japanese, published a year or two after the Japanese economy spun into its deflationary cycle and the locus of technological innovation moved elsewhere. Windows is not dead but it is, you know, over.

itsmyipad

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
I'm not sure it's last gen either. This idea of a "central processor for homes everywhere" is older than that. I think Kate Wohlheim wrote a novel about this back in the 80s (the computer goes berserk, of course, and mayhem ensues). Kind of seems like some kind of smart thermostat would be an easier way to implement it.

The other part sounds like the, um, vision Steve Ballmer has been articulating lately: everything is a PC, so everything should run Windows. And I suppose if this were 1996, the vision might seem plausible, if depressing. Now it just seems kind of stale. Not even retro, like the "central home processor" idea, which has a certain Forbidden Planet charm.

The thought that the future lies with clunky Dell or Acer tablet PCs running an uninspired Microsoft OS ... this is more like those late, derivative cyberpunk novels in which the future is All Japanese, published a year or two after the Japanese economy spun into its deflationary cycle and the locus of technological innovation moved elsewhere. Windows is not dead but it is, you know, over.

I'm not gonna argue

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
What the iPad needs is a real file system, right now it sucks for anything besides browsing, media and iBooks. Why can't we have a global documents, pictures and downloads folder that can be accessed from the springboard? I should be able to download stuff from the iPad as well and of course implement printing as well.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
The iOS 4 beta for registered ($99/year) iPad Developers will most likely be out 3-4 weeks before general availability to the public.

Right now, we only have "Fall 2010" as a timeframe. That might mean September, or maybe October/November...

I expect that iOS 4.2 will come out in September around the time that the new iPod Touch's come out. I don't have inside info, but I expect a grand "reunification" of the forked iOS (the 3.2x path, and 4.x path) to happen at that time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.