when iphone 1.1.1 will be unlocked?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Ipaqman, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

anyone know when the iphone 1.1.1 will be unlocked?

2. Djmx macrumors 6502

WHEN IT DEOS IT WILL BE ON CNN, MACRUMORS... the whole world WILL know. Just be patience like the rest of us are.

3. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Apple will send it out to all iPhone owners through an update in iTunes.

Do everyone a favor, learn to use the search function.

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

The bigger question is when will people stop asking stupid questions!
    :rolleyes:

5. dthmtlgod macrumors 6502

LOL, you should have said stupid questions that really only about 10% of iPhone owners really care about.

6. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

No. Sucks, but that is the way it is. It isn't a matter of 'they know what needs to be done to unlock it, it's just a matter of time and effort', so that there's a schedule for these kinds of things. It's more a matter of coming up with ideas that might work, trying them out, seeing them fail, but that failure will either help identify a wrong path, or give you ideas to a better path. In a lot of cases, from what I've experienced, it's usually a single or a chain of a few honest to God "eureka" type moments that get you where you need to be. Those are things you can't estimate. It could be in the next ten minutes, it might not be for another ten weeks.

If you want an idea of how this works, log on to the irc channel. For the love of God don't bother anyone (they get asked when it's gonna be broken constantly. get's annoying and slows down the flow of ideas), just follow it for ten to twenty minutes and you'll get a good idea of what kind of work is involved.
    Not to mention that it seems in addition to trying to break 1.1.1 they're also trying to come up with a way to get anyone who did end up bricking themselves by applying the 1.1.1 upgrade to an unlocked phone back to working status. Couple in the serious protection scheme Apple has implemented, and it is a gargantual undertaking.

7. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

This reminds me of the DSS hacking days (except this is legal). If Apple develops the right encryption, we may never see it unlocked. Fortunately, 1.1.1 isn't since we can downgrade firmware and the phone still functions fine. But you're right that it could be 10 minutes, 10 hours, 10 months, 10 years or never. But my hope is that LG's new iPhone clone (out in November) will be open to third-party developers and Apple will lose enough market share to be forced to put out a SDK to boost market share. There are some rumors floating around that an iPhone SDK may well be released when Leopard is released. The iPhone is supposed to have much of Leopard's OS. Of course when and if a SDK is released, it will undoubtedly be only to Apple approved developers with their products for sale only through Apple. So much for freeware and true innovation.

8. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

There is no reason freeware can't be sold through Apple. If a developer says, put it up for free, I think Apple would honor that.

As far as Apple approved developers, I agree with that if it turns out to be the case. I have had a Treo for the last 4 years. There are so many crappy apps that break the Treo and almost bring it to bricked status, it makes you not want to put any apps on the thing.

A semi-closed environment is a good idea in my opinion. It keeps quality apps on the iPhone. Anyone could buy the SDK and submit there apps for approval, so there will still be innovation if people really enjoy what they are doing and take the steps to do it in a good way.

9. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

As you say, it's not something we can predict. I would tend to guess that it will be cracked at some point, since this is still a pretty early firmware. Sony and Microsoft have spent a lot more time and effort trying to prevent their consoles from being hacked to play copies of games, and to my knowledge the XBox 360 has been hacked (don't know about the PS3.) Security is even more important for them, because the consoles are sold at a loss.

I imagine that Apple will roll out new features one at a time, to encourage people to update with each new release. At some point jailbreaking/unlocking will get REALLY hard. Hopefully at that point the rumors of 3rd-party software (sold through iTunes or whatever) will come true, and people will at least be able to buy new apps.

10. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Actually you might want to actually read his question. While his may be a stupid one, I don't think apple will be sending out "unlocked 1.1.1 firmware" to iPhone owners through iTunes.

11. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Really?:rolleyes:

12. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it will happen eventually, but I don't think even the most industrious hackers have a release date planned at this point :D

13. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

If I had to take a guess, I'd say, the same day that Leopard gets released...