When is 8th gen intel coming to nTB Macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by axd1152, Nov 2, 2018.

1. axd1152 macrumors member

Hi, everyone! Does anyne know about when apple is going to upgrade the 7th gen intel processors to the 8th gen?

I was waiting so bad for September presentation for that to happen, but it didn't.
    Then I started waiting for the October 30th presentation, and was like 99% sure they would update it there, but they didn't! WTF???

I was hoping they will release the Macbook Air with quad core gen8 intel at least, then I could buy it. And I was so happy when I heard it was indeed 8th gen, but then disappointed discovering it was dual core instead of quad core.

Now, I hear that they are starting selling new macbook pros with vega card starting November 12, and I hope that they release 8th gen at same time for the nTB macbook pro.

8th gen intel is such a big leap in terms of performance, that I just can't get away with the 7th gen buying it now when 8th gen is already availabe, since I am planing on keeping it for 10 years, just like my current 2008 aluminium macbook. The reason I want the 8th gen performance is because I want to be able to run window using vmware on it and not feel any performance descrease in mac os or windows.

2. leman macrumors G3

Probably never. I think they will reserve quad core for Touch Bar (“real” pro) models for the purpose of product differentiation.

3. axd1152 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, don't break my heart!

4. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

Pretty much this, it will also likely cannibalise the new Air sales.

5. axd1152 thread starter macrumors member

I feel like that can not be real. They have never done that with previous macbook pros. There is almost already no point in getting nTB macbook pro over the air. Performance wise they are almost on par and both can't do any pro stuff, and if so, why bother buying pro, when you can get the air which is more silent, has touch id, and the new gen keyboard. I would say they have to put the 8th gen in nTB pro to differentiate it from the air or just remove it at all. All other manufactures are putting the 8th gen in all of their laptops, why would apple keep gen 7 in macbook pro forever?

6. masim macrumors newbie

There is still no suitable 8th gen Core 15W TDP CPU (with Iris Plus GPU) available from Intel to go into the nTB MBP. And I guess Apple don't want to use an 28W TDP part because they want the TB MBP to have a performance advantage over the nTB model...

7. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

That is true, the new Whiskey Lakes use HD620, while nTB use the HD640.

8. leman macrumors G3

The nTB was a model aimed at people waiting for a retina MBA. Apple said so themselves when the 2016 models were revealed.

9. anpaman macrumors member

Does MacBook Pro nTB was old stock or it still manufactured till today ?

Thank

10. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

It's still in production, but hasn't been updated in over 1 year. It now occupies a somewhat weird spot in the Mac lineup: it was primarily released as a stopgap for people who wanted a 13" MacBook Air with a Retina display, and now that Apple has released the new MBA it's unclear whether they will ever update the nTB again or not.
    I wouldn't be too surprised if they eventually decided to phase it out.