when is a good time to buy a Mac Pro (G5)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Soura2112, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Im not exactly sure which generation Apple is on, but I have a 2005 G5 and really want to swap for a new one. The main thing I am waiting for is a internal Blu Ray player (sorry to those who have read about that before). If they go Blu Ray or not when does Apple typically bring out new Mac Pro's? I read the newest one is pretty new, so I am not thinking this year. Plus with Apple not making Mac World a big deal anymore (The one in Jan in S.F), I am curious when they might bring out their new model. I know you guys/girls are not fortune tellers, but an educated guess will do.
    Also, I figure this is not possible due to lack of the intel chip on my current G5, but is there any possible way to hook up the 2005 (no Intel chip) to a current Mac Pro with Intel. So I could run both systems? It's not a big deal at all, but I would like to have the 2005 G5 doing something besides collecting dust (though I am sure I can find a use for it anyway).
    I am video editor who uses Final Cut so the more power the better!!! Well that goes for anyone I have ever met.
    thanks for info and your opinions, sorry for a repeat info, but its a big purchase that will last me many years. I would not have any problems if I had Intel on my G5, I would just upgrade RAM and a Graphics card. Plus I am running two 1.5TB drives. Which is a reason I drool over the new Mac Pro, 4 slots! Add in a Blu Ray drive and I am sold!

2. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

the buyers guide says only buy if u need it because its approaching the end of a cycle. if you need it now buy it and if you dont there should be on e out by Q1 2010 i am also looking into a mac pro but it will take me a lil while to save up. sorry i couldent answer your other questions

3. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

Why wait for them?

Buy one as soon as they update them and then...buy a blu-ray drive.... and put one in there lol. It's super easy and theres no reason anyone who owns a machine that high end shouldn't at least have the know how to install a drive lol...no offense but COME ON. From what I've read the software support is flawless already

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Not before March and more likely to be April/May 2010. You would (can) be able to install a blu-ray player/writer anyway and it would likely be a lot cheaper than getting one pre-installed via Apple.

You can network or get a KVM switch (google the term) to use your input devices and display with multiple machines.

5. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know the instal, but..

I know the install process but I like to buy a machine that is fully operational with everything covered by Apple, especially DVD/Blu-Ray, mainly because I had my DVD drive on my current G5 go out while still under AppleCare. That is the main reason, so I can open up these machines and replace things.

Thank you for letting me know that a new model could be on the way, it makes sense. I personally like the design but I think its time for a slightly new look. But I hope they don't fully change the machine, cause the machine still looks awesome, but a few tweaks would be cool and of course adding more ports, the more the better!