When is a new MBP release stable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abnospam, Feb 7, 2010.

1. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

I am switching from PC and I keep hearing people say don't buy the "first batch". What does this mean? Do they literally revise the hardware in the first couple of weeks? And, at what point does that risk curve diminish or become tolerable to buy in? If its 3-6 months, then I just can't wait, but if its 2 weeks maybe I can hold out.

p.s. Although I have heard Apple not being kind to replace these early adopters, has anyone bought with Amex and had amex replace it for you?

(sorry, I searched just couldn't find easy clear answers to this)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The "first batch" refers to the first iteration of a brand-new style. When the unibody Macbook Pros came out ("revision A"), smart buyers stayed away. Once the first update happened ("revision B") a lot of the hardware issues were sorted out.

If the MBPs are updated soon, it's not a revision A, so you have less to worry about in that respect.

3. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Well look what happened with the imacs...

but even still OP you will be safe. And if anything goes wrong apple has the best customer support in the world.

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

This model has been out since 2008, so imo it's not the first batch. First batch, with any electronic is that very 1st design, invention, model type. Like the very first iPhone or the very first motorola Razr phone. The 1st unibody came out in 2008. The current ones have had atleast 2-3 version released. What has changed was the SD slot and possible improvements on the track pad and LCD screen. I don't think you should worry about MBP, cause if you at the entire history of Powerbooks/Macbook Pro the designs layouts are similar. I have both and it seems that Apple has made some improvements on the keys, casing, and lcd screens.

I'm not an early adapter but I approached Apple about switching my MBP cause I wasn't happy with the glossy screen. They were more than accommodating. I didn't take up their offer cause it would have meant that I would have spent more money to get a high end MBP, when I just saved 40% getting a refurb. But it was nice that they offered to switch it out.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Exactly. New form factor ---> major problems.

6. p3t0r macrumors newbie

If they stick with the existing screen, i.e. 16:10, then I can't see why this would be a new revision. But if :apple: decide to go 16:9, then it may well be another 'yellow' screen or something similar all over again! But as someone mentioned earlier, apple warranty ftw.

7. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

-1 for a 16:9 screen. There are folks who use their computers for purposes besides watching movies all day long, Steve.

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

If there is no physical change to the chassis design, then there may be problems with the hardware since it's a new architecture and everything. But in any case we shouldn't be seeing things like ****** display quality, crooked keys or clunky battery covers that plagued the rev. A unibodys.

9. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

movies I watch are 24:10 roughly. What kind of movies do you watch? Oo

16:9 is better for other reasons. It is more comfortable to work with two large windows next to each other, say, in final cut or photoshop.

16:9 because of TV shows should not be a reason.

But yes, new sceens could add up some problems! :)

10. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

I think my biggest concern is heat dissipation with Arrandale jammed into a body design on Core 2 Duo. Should I be worried?

It is sounding like the mac people don't consider a spec bump and switch to Arrandale a major change in which I should stay away from purchasing on opening day.