When is a redesign coming up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baadshah, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Baadshah macrumors 6502

Hi All
    I bought a Macbook (Pro) late 2008 unibody alu design.

Now i am feeling that its too slow 2.0 ghz and all:rolleyes:

so i am thinking to buy a new macbook pro, but when is a new design coming out? and i want usb 3.0 as it will be the new standard from 2011.

And what about mac updates??

I hope someone could answer my question, thanks:D

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nope, sorry... your questions have no solid answers
    Apple keeps things like this completely under wraps

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Intel isn't adopting USB 3.0 to their mainstream chipsets before 2012. That means it won't be the new standard before Intel adopts it

4. bamf macrumors 6502

Well I don't think the look is going to be redesigned anytime soon - Apple likes to keep form factor and cases a relatively long time.

As for USB 3, you'd think the Mac Pro would get that first since most consumers don't need that level of bandwidth - and professional users do. Yes, I know they call it a Macbook Pro, but most of them are not sold to professionals...

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

2 GHz should be all right unless you want improvements in the time things are processed e.g. video production, calculations. more of a speed boost would be noticed in newer processor architecture, low level cache, and additional threads than raw processor speed.

the MacBook Pro's last design debuted back in early 2006 when it was introduced as the first Intel Mac. before that was the PowerBook and had a very similar design. by that logic a redesign wont be for a while, but may not take as a long as last time.

6. puma1552 macrumors 601

Link?

So Intel isn't going to natively support USB 3.0 until 2012 now?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://www.myce.com/news/intel-delays-usb-3-0-chipset-until-2012-30531/

That's what the reports have been saying. There was a rumor that Intel would announce USB 3.0 support in IDF which is ending today but so far, there has been no word about USB 3.0 so looks like that rumor was just a rumor. Patsburg may support USB 3.0 but it's high-end and server chipset and not due before H2 2011 so it won't really change anything as Mac Pro is the only Mac that can use it

8. puma1552 macrumors 601

Man, Intel was supposed to support it in 2010, then 2011, now 2012...get with it, Intel.

Wow, the appeal of Sandy Bridge due to its native USB 3.0 support just went through the floor. Guess these Arrandales will be solid stepping stone machines for a good long while to come.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think LightPeak is the reason for this. It's Intel's own technology so of course they don't want to support rivals' technology. It's just their greediness. If they added USB 3.0 now, most of us wouldn't care about LightPeak when it arrives as USB 3.0 is already fast enough

10. puma1552 macrumors 601

You think they will just bypass USB 3.0 entirely for LightPeak? Either way, its a few years off.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Light Peak will be in production in Q4 so only matter of weeks. It's hard to say what Intel will do. I doubt they will totally skip USB 3.0 though, depends when LP can be integrated to mainstream chipsets at reasonable price.

12. Baadshah thread starter macrumors 6502

They normally come with a new design every 2 year dont they?

iPhone 3g, 3gs then 2010 iphone 4
    ipod touch
    ipod nano

Even mac they have come out with a sleeker design

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple used the same aluminum PowerBook design from 2001 to 2008. There is no reason to change good design

14. whatupkiddo macrumors newbie

asus provides usb 3.0 in their laptops
    and ibuypower.com does 3.0 for free with standard customization X_X

15. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

The Mac Pro tower has looked the same for what, a decade?

16. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Then go buy either of those? It's not like Apple is forcing you to buy their laptops..

17. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The Aluminium design for the MacBook Pro and PowerBook was with us from January 2003 to October 2008. The Unibody design for the MBPs is just shy of being two years old.

Btw, MRoogle is a good tool to find answers to many questions, and many questions get asked more than once, including the "upcoming" redesign.