Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Any chance apple will use Super AMOLED panel on iPad for future iPads? I don't like LCD panels because I watch a lot of movies.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I think it's going to have a retina display and be backwards compatible with iPhone 4 games.

; )

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
I hope so... but then I wonder how existing iPad developers would feel knowing that their attempts to charge a premium for iPad "HD" apps will be no more.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Any chance apple will use Super AMOLED panel on iPad for future iPads? I don't like LCD panels because I watch a lot of movies.

Samsung isn't able to get up to production levels for use it on their OWN tablet yet, let alone the volume that would be required for the iPad.

TheyCallMeSaint

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
I think it's going to have a retina display and be backwards compatible with iPhone 4 games.

I disagree about retina, but that's a topic for another thread :p Anyway, the rumor has it that the next iPad will indeed see an improved screen. Does this mean Amoled? I dunno. Does anyone know if Amoled is compatible with IPS?

EDIT: Oh haha just saw the white wink face. Carry on :D

Last edited:

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010

; )

Really...

So, my iPad 2 will have twice more resolutions than iPad 1? So, iPad 2 will have higher resolution than iMac 21.5 (1920X 1080) and 17 inch MBP?

Really... Really... Really...

And you want to pay 499 dollars for the base model, huh? Apple will price iPad at 999 dollars with that kind of display.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Really...

So, my iPad 2 will have twice more resolutions than iPad 1? So, iPad 2 will have higher resolution than iMac 21.5 (1920X 1080) and 17 inch MBP?

And you want to pay 499 dollars for the base model, huh? Apple will price iPad at 999 dollars with that kind of display.
Um... we really don't need to restart this discussion.

TheyCallMeSaint

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
Really...

He was kidding.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
As the owner of a samsung phone with an amoled display, I can confidently say that tablets absolutely will benefit from it. On the other hand, we are probably about 2 years away from seeing a 10" amoled display that is anywhere near affordable. It may be possible for 2012 in the iPad 3, but I doubt it, and I will say that it absolutely will not be coming to the iPad 2.

Also, for web browsing amoled uses considerably more power than an LCD because of the white background. An iPad with an amoled display will have less battery life while web browsing or reading a book than it will when playing netflix or games.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Really...

Sense of humor, there must be an app for that.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
As the owner of a samsung phone with an amoled display, I can confidently say that tablets absolutely will benefit from it. On the other hand, we are probably about 2 years away from seeing a 10" amoled display that is anywhere near affordable. It may be possible for 2012 in the iPad 3, but I doubt it, and I will say that it absolutely will not be coming to the iPad 2.

Also, for web browsing amoled uses considerably more power than an LCD because of the white background. An iPad with an amoled display will have less battery life while web browsing or reading a book than it will when playing netflix or games.

And considering that the overwhelming majority of users bought an iPad for browsing and dreading, case closed.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Ultimately there's very little benefit to switching to AMOLED from the high quality IPS panels in the iPad and iPhone and a couple of significant issues, not least is that it is both difficult and expensive to make an AMOLED screen that size and resolution (heck, even Samsung doesn't do it for the Galaxy Tab, that's a TFT-LCD I beleive) and making it in sufficient quantities for a product like the iPad would be even more tricky. It should also be considered that regular AMOLED displays have significant issues with visibility in daylight (yes, worse than the current iPad screen) and only the Samsung-sourced SuperAMOLED stuff avoids that problem.

In terms of quality it's more of a matter of personal preference than anything else with both technologies producing very nice images. IPS can't reproduce perfect black and thus has less contrast range but AMOLED tends to over-saturate colours IPS tends to be brighter than AMOLED and, under typical use, is actually less power-hungry.

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
And considering that the overwhelming majority of users bought an iPad for browsing and dreading, case closed.

yeah I dread all the time. Lol

I think amoled would be good but it's going to be a while before its good for ipad size.

What about slcd instead?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I had a HTC Droid Incredible with an AMOLED screen. While it was a beautiful screen indoors, it was impossible to read outside. My Droid X with it's standard LCD screen is easier to read outside. People already complain about reading on the iPad outdoors, I can only imagine how much worse it would be with an amoled screen.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
I had a HTC Droid Incredible with an AMOLED screen. While it was a beautiful screen indoors, it was impossible to read outside. My Droid X with it's standard LCD screen is easier to read outside. People already complain about reading on the iPad outdoors, I can only imagine how much worse it would be with an amoled screen.

Super AMOLED doesn't have this problem. Yes, it is not quite as good as an LCD outdoors, but I have never been in a situation where I wasn't able to see what was on the screen.

The thing about amoled is that when you invert the colors and get white text on black background it is perfect for reading in the dark. Not only is it easier on the eyes, it uses extremely little power. I would bet that you could run an iPad with an amoled display for about 20 hours when using it like this.

As for the oversaturation of the colors, blame samsung, not amoled. They could tune the displays to be more accurate, but then they wouldn't look as "nice".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.