Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arjy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
So, I have had the iPhone 4 since launch, and I'd say with the fair amounts of apps I have on my phone, it took all the devs maybe 2 and a half months to update their apps for the new high resolution screen. All the devs except...

Apple. Their own apps which I use (primarily remote, but I have others) still have pixelated icons that while not reducing functionality, are not aesthetically pleasing. What could be taking them so long?

Same goes for other devs. I dont use many apps on my phone but I have friends who do and I notice on their iPhone 4s that they have many apps still using the old resolution for both their icons and any artwork inside the app. What gives? Do the devs not care enough or is it a difficult process or what? I'm just curious as to why they would take so long to update, especially now that the iPod touch is at the same resolution.

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
So, I have had the iPhone 4 since launch, and I'd say with the fair amounts of apps I have on my phone, it took all the devs maybe 2 and a half months to update their apps for the new high resolution screen. All the devs except...

Apple. Their own apps which I use (primarily remote, but I have others) still have pixelated icons that while not reducing functionality, are not aesthetically pleasing. What could be taking them so long?

Same goes for other devs. I dont use many apps on my phone but I have friends who do and I notice on their iPhone 4s that they have many apps still using the old resolution for both their icons and any artwork inside the app. What gives? Do the devs not care enough or is it a difficult process or what? I'm just curious as to why they would take so long to update, especially now that the iPod touch is at the same resolution.

It'll have to be part of a firmware update won't it?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
It's a pretty safe bet that the Remote app is going to be updated to support the new Apple TV.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I'm sure like every other company out there, Apple has a long list of things they'd like to get done. I'm assuming retina capable icons are towards the bottom of the priority queue. I personally would like them to do it sooner rather than later, but I certainly understand that there are probably higher value tasks on their work plate. As for when it's going to happen: :confused:

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010

No.

The thread starter here is talking about apps in the store that are published by Apple Inc. Apps including Remote, Keynote Remote, Apple Store, iDisk, and a few others.

I'm sure like every other company out there, Apple has a long list of things they'd like to get done. I'm assuming retina capable icons are towards the bottom of the priority queue. I personally would like them to do it sooner rather than later, but I certainly understand that there are probably higher value tasks on their work plate. As for when it's going to happen: :confused:

Every app that they have in the store already has a 512x512 icon rendered, it just isn’t included in the app build, and therefor, doesn’t display on the phone. All they have to do is resize that 512x512 and then publish an update. Artwork and other aspects are a different story and probably will taker longer to do.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I thought they were all updated about a month ago, except for remote. It's the only one with the old app icon still.

Find My iPhone, iDisk, MobileMe Gallery, and Keynote Remote all have "Retina" graphics (Keynote remote might not be fully integrated, the words were all high quality but a picture that was displayed when no WiFi is available was not in high quality).

The only thing that is not "Retina" quality in remote is the artwork.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I recall reading somewhere that the remote app is basically the work of one person at apple, who is working on other projects at present, so hasn't updated it.

Arjy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
well well, there we go. thanks apple for beautifying my home screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.