Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HBKDinobot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
I think the ability to back up 50GBs on a disk rather than the 4GBs you can put on a DVD-R is a very good reason to have Blu-Ray drives on a mac in and of itself.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Never, VERY slow take up and will be outdated quickly by downloads, ;)

I have to agree. I was considering a Blu ray player, but the DVDs are really expensive, the players too. Also, I hate having SD DVDs around the house, Blu Rays are physically the same size and it just makes a mess. In other words. I'm a downloads fan.

Just a message to all the studios: Please make downloads cheaper.

HBKDinobot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Just for the record. Blu-Ray is further along in sales than DVD was at the same time in it's life cycle.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I think the ability to back up 50GBs on a disk rather than the 4GBs you can put on a DVD-R is a very good reason to have Blu-Ray drives on a mac in and of itself.

Aaaand you can do that right now. All that OS X can't do is play movies with frigtarded HDCP.

Plug in a Blu-ray drive and burn away.

Seriously, people... WHY do you want a Blu-ray option from APPLE?! You'll all just complain about how it's several hundred dollars more than anyone else's Blu-ray!

arjen

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
Discussed so much....

Indeed, but still not there. How remarkable is that given the fact it's been the defacto standard for months now since HD-DVD's death. Also, other manufacturers have already started to put Blu-ray drives in desktops and laptops.

It's a bit odd the :apple: was ahead in putting 802.11n in Macs (about 1,5-2 years ago) but now falls behind the competition with Blu-ray.

:confused: I'm wondering if :apple: is loosing direction a bit. It's been all iPhone for over a year now and MobileMe has been a dissaster so far. And I'm not even talking about the loss of functionality (iCards, On-line Bookmarks, availability of on-line services using your browser at work (IE), etc.)

arjen

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
why would we need them?
what will we need for blue ray?
i dont understand.

Well let me give you two reasons:
1. Playing back Blu-Ray content which can be bought in shops ;)
2. Burning Blu-Ray disks thus having 5-10 times more storage space apposed to DVD.

But then you might still be pleased with the speed and storage space of and on your 7-something" floppy drive and disks :D

apple.

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
at my desk in, CA
2. Burning Blu-Ray disks thus having 5-10 times more storage space apposed to DVD.

But then you might still be pleased with the speed and storage space of and on your 7-something" floppy drive and disks :D

yeah.
i understand.
but like buy a ps3.
if he wants bluray so bad he should buy a mac pro and get bluray thing on it.
i mean its cool and everything.
but it will come later in the future and if the op wanted to get an imac with bluray, hes going to waiting for atleast a year.

Chilz0r

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
********. Good luck downloading a 50GB blu-ray quality movie on a 4Mb internet connection.

Digital downloads are still years away, because the internet infrastructure needs to be upgraded badly to give everyone much higher speeds first.

Have you ever heard of compression!!! a 720p blu-ray rip is roughly the same size of a standard DVD (4.36GB)

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
lol. first of all, 720P HD movies are, give or take, 8GB and not 5 times as huge. 1080 is a few shades larger at around 12GB, but nowhere near a season of the office at 50GB. secondly, most digital download services have already incorporated an ingenious system, which i'll call it by describing it...play it while it downloads.

as for the future though, we can look forward to instant downloads... once the whole internet infrastructure gets upgraded.

Yeah, verry good but my connection is 512kbps and BT has no plans to upgrade it any time soon (next 3-4 years maybe). I would have to wait about a week to cash enough of a movie to start watching it before it finished, and thats if I don't want to use any other online service (web browsing, voip, Xbox Live or PSN), heck, I even need to shut down my macs if i want to play Halo 3 online os the connection drops / gets laggy and i get booted.

It may be a dead format (but hey, I got the deive for my 360 for £60 and 5 Free Films) But I just got all 5 Harry potter films on (New sealed) HD-DVD for £20, so there goes the "DVDs are cheaper than HD" argument. Full HD Downloads will only kick off if everyone has FTH (fiber to home) broadband.

Another thing, 720p is not that big a jump for us over in blighty, Our DVDs usually come in 1024x576p (anamorphic) as aposed to the (arround) 720x480 on most of the Region 1 DVDs I have (arround 12 from about 2001-2008)

jeremyrader

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007

Blu-Ray is a fantastic advancement (compared to DVD's) for the home theater environment... for now. But neither of your "reasons" is really valid.

1. I realize there are people that connect their computers to their HDTV's as home entertainment devices (I have). But it's certainly not the majority at this point, and with the emergence of high speed, high definition wireless multimedia extenders and relatively inexpensive home media servers, I don't think it ever will be. And I certainly don't see the laptop ousting the flat-panel HDTV as the preferred family home entertainment viewing window anytime soon. Blu-Ray player (home theater) prices are dropping fast, and Blu-Ray drives (computer) even faster; not to mention the enormous popularity of the PS3 as a dual-purpose gaming and Blu-Ray viewing device. But your argument is that people somehow need to view high definition movies on their computers (using Blu-Ray discs, apparently). Or is it so that we can rip our entire 100-500+ title HD libraries for viewing later? Not likely to happen with a typical 250GB internal drive. Much more likely with the aforementioned 4TB server, which still doesn't justify the need for a permanently installed Blu-Ray drive in any Mac. (Should mention here that ripping capability right now is somewhat limited for the Mac, but possible). I just don't see Apple, the first to kill the beloved 1.44MB floppy back in the day, making the switch to Blu-Ray when all signs point to a similar death for permanently installed optical drives. Which brings us to:

2. $30 each for a 50GB dual layer disc (write once) isn't all that bad, I suppose... even when you factor in the price of the drive I'll need to burn it. But I can pick up 16GB multi-use flash drives for a reasonable price, use them over and over, and they are much more portable - if that's the reason you want to burn data to a Blu-Ray disc. Is this supposed to be for long-term storage/backups? I can get a single terabyte external drive for less money than a 5-pack (5x50GB=250GB) and, again, use it more than once.

You joke about people using "7-something inch" floppies (they were 5.25", by the way) as being outdated. If you are still touting optical media as some sort of ideal storage solution, you're the one being laughed at now.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
Blu-Ray is a fantastic advancement (compared to DVD's) for the home theater environment... for now. But neither of your "reasons" is really valid.

1. I realize there are people that connect their computers to their HDTV's as home entertainment devices (I have). But it's certainly not the majority at this point, and with the emergence of high speed, high definition wireless multimedia extenders and relatively inexpensive home media servers, I don't think it ever will be. And I certainly don't see the laptop ousting the flat-panel HDTV as the preferred family home entertainment viewing window anytime soon. Blu-Ray player (home theater) prices are dropping fast, and Blu-Ray drives (computer) even faster; not to mention the enormous popularity of the PS3 as a dual-purpose gaming and Blu-Ray viewing device. But your argument is that people somehow need to view high definition movies on their computers (using Blu-Ray discs, apparently). Or is it so that we can rip our entire 100-500+ title HD libraries for viewing later? Not likely to happen with a typical 250GB internal drive. Much more likely with the aforementioned 4TB server, which still doesn't justify the need for a permanently installed Blu-Ray drive in any Mac. (Should mention here that ripping capability right now is somewhat limited for the Mac, but possible). I just don't see Apple, the first to kill the beloved 1.44MB floppy back in the day, making the switch to Blu-Ray when all signs point to a similar death for permanently installed optical drives. Which brings us to:

2. $30 each for a 50GB dual layer disc (write once) isn't all that bad, I suppose... even when you factor in the price of the drive I'll need to burn it. But I can pick up 16GB multi-use flash drives for a reasonable price, use them over and over, and they are much more portable - if that's the reason you want to burn data to a Blu-Ray disc. Is this supposed to be for long-term storage/backups? I can get a single terabyte external drive for less money than a 5-pack (5x50GB=250GB) and, again, use it more than once.

You joke about people using "7-something inch" floppies (they were 5.25", by the way) as being outdated. If you are still touting optical media as some sort of ideal storage solution, you're the one being laughed at now.

I am sick to death of fanbois on this website screaming about how Apple has pronounced the death of optical media and anyone not progressive enough to get with the program should be "laughed at".

NEWSFLASH: APPLE never made such an announcement. All they did was start renting movies over download and announce a laptop so thin it couldn't fit an optical drive at the same event. The optical drive is still available optionally. When Apple dropped the floppy disk drive on the iMac, they had to give some kind of explanation as to why they weren't gonna be around long because so many ppl were put off the computer for precisely that reason. There have already been several rumours about apple meeting with Sony and other ppl about adding bluray to macs. It is obvious that the principal drawbacks holding apple back are:

a) They consume too much power
b) There is a limited number of slot-loading options

I have a myriad of flash drives and an external lacie, but I still back up files to DVD regularly, not least of all because a DVD in a Caselogic-type wallet is likely to last a lot longer than my Lacie. No one uses USB sticks for backup, cos you couldn't even write on them what you'd put on them. Besides, no matter how cheap it is it wouldn't be cost effective when DVDs are less than 50c (which is funny cos they used to cost as much as blank BRs do now - do you really think the price of flash/HDs is going to drop as quickly as BRs will over the next 3 years making your price comparison completely pointless?).

As a content creator who uses apple's many pro applications to create HD content for a living, I find the presumption prevalent here on these forums that all HD media distribution, including corporate videos, advertisements, home videos and artist showreels to name but a few that APPLE WOULD OBVIOUSLY NOT DEEM COMMERCIALLY VIABLE ENOUGH TO HOST, should have to take place through the iTunes store at compressed 720p, just a bit f$%&ing naive.

tronic72

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
********. Good luck downloading a 50GB blu-ray quality movie on a 4Mb internet connection.

Digital downloads are still years away, because the internet infrastructure needs to be upgraded badly to give everyone much higher speeds first.

I agree. Have a look at the Apple TV section. There's a few people who have experimented with ripping and encoding Blue-Ray and they say it's not worth it due to the length of time involved and the massive file sizes.

I loveeeeee my ATV, but Blue-Ray still has it's place for at least the next 3 years.

tronic72

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Aaaand you can do that right now. All that OS X can't do is play movies with frigtarded HDCP.

Plug in a Blu-ray drive and burn away.

Seriously, people... WHY do you want a Blu-ray option from APPLE?! You'll all just complain about how it's several hundred dollars more than anyone else's Blu-ray!

Dude, I think you answered the question without even trying. Apple "should" have an "option" for those that "want" or "require" it. If they want it and can't get it, they'll use a Windows PC but only because Apple haven't given them the option.

There was a similar issue in regards to 5.1 surround on the ATV. I hated having a 5K sound system only to hear my Apple TV play it in 70's style stereo. Apple came to the party!

I suspect Sony is messing vendors around with licensing. As we all know Apple always play hard-ball when it comes to getting the best deal, hence the wait.

My neighbour is envious of the ease-of-use and practicality of my Apple TV. I'm envious of the amazing quality of Blue-Ray movies on his PS3. At this stage in time there is nothing that ticks all boxes. Like it or not, Blue-Ray has it's place. (This coming from a hugeee ATV Fan).

arjen

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007

Yes it's meant as a joke, but 7-something inch floppy disks have actually existed and where in fact 8". Check the Wiki.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.