When is Blu-Ray going to be released on Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seany916, Jun 27, 2007.

1. seany916 macrumors 6502

I know the drives are available, but how long before they're standard or BTO on mac pro or MBP? Anyone heard anything? Speculation?

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I'm big on this stuff and jumped into the whole DVD-R thing when the drive was a 2X at $500. Usually, it's a few main things:

1. OS Support, which will be in October.
    2. Software support. There is a few now, but when OS X and iLife is compatible, that's the time to take the plunge.
    3. Lower prices. Where I shop:
    http://www.dfwdepot.com/opticstor/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_17_131&products_id=250
    $949 for a slim Blu-ray is a bit hard to swallow for a $599 Mini. When prices go down to about $199 (which should be around late this year or early next). A Mini (or hopefully a newer Mac equivalent) with OS X, iLife, and a Blu-ray (or really hoping, a Super Multi Blu with HD DVD-RW support also) is feasible. The desktop models will be cheaper and should show up earlier (October?)

3. rmtoberman macrumors newbie

Blu Ray Drive

Last Friday in the Fry's ad they had the Philips Blu Ray burner for $450.00. Also, I find it interesting that Final Cut Studio 2's DVD Studio Pro 4 supports HD DVD blue laser replication but there is no mention of Blu Ray.
    http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/dvdstudiopro/mastering.html
    Maybe when they mention HD DVD they are referring to High Definition DVD's in general and not the HD DVD format.

Also, why are you looking for a Blu Ray burner? If its for home movies, I have successfully burned a 10 minute home movie recorded with a Canon HV10 onto a DVD-R as an HD DVD disk and played it back on my Toshiba HD-A2. I edited it in iMovie, but had to use a PC with Movie Factory 6 to actually burn in HD DVD format. It looked excellent at 1080i. This is the way to go for now since the quality is the same and the disks are cheap. A DVD-R will hold up to 30 minutes of High Definition video.
    BTW, I am indifferent as to which format wins, I am just playing with the least expensive way to get into HD disks.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

From Apple:

In context with SD, they just mean High Def - they should change that to avoid confusion and call it "High Def Discs".

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

The short answer is "October 2007".

Leopard has support for both BR and HD DVDs and it is scheduled to be released in October.

6. seany916 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your answers. When a MBP is released with BR, we'll sell our current 3 computers and pick up 3 MBPs. We do a lot of HD work and the limiting size of single layer DVDs... well... let's just say that BR is going to be a godsend.