When is data put into the Health app?!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by yalag, Oct 12, 2014.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

I got an app called withings that takes reason from my digital scale for weights tracking. It also uploads to the Health app. Great.

Except I don't understand when it does it? Apple does not make this clear. Does it sync to health app every time I launch the Withings app? Can I just launch the Health app itself? It gets silly if say you have 4 sources and you have to launch each one?!

2. PhilippLA macrumors newbie

Thought the same thing the other day. I guess it would be easy to find out: step on your scale. Don't open the Withings app. Check if the new weight record appears in Health app.

I have a feeling it won't. :/

3. eekcat macrumors 6502a

I'm using sleeptrack to... track my sleep... (While I wait for sleepcycle to get HealthKit support) and I have to open the app for the data to get exported into the Health app. Too bad it doesn't seem to work in the background.

4. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

So how is this supposed to work when I have 4-5 apps that does this?

5. Cyberstven macrumors regular

You have to jump into activity and enable the metrics to display in the dashboard.

6. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't think you understand what we are talking about here...

7. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

You have to give permission for the apps to feed data into Health. Go into Sources in Health, go into each app listed, and adjust the permissions there. Then it should start feeding automatically.

Whether it works in the background, or only when you open the app depends on each app's code, and the permissions you have granted it. Like, if an app asks for permission to update in the background, and you say no, you'll have to launch the app for it to feed.