When is data put into the Health app?!

yalag

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I got an app called withings that takes reason from my digital scale for weights tracking. It also uploads to the Health app. Great.

Except I don't understand when it does it? Apple does not make this clear. Does it sync to health app every time I launch the Withings app? Can I just launch the Health app itself? It gets silly if say you have 4 sources and you have to launch each one?!

PhilippLA

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Thought the same thing the other day. I guess it would be easy to find out: step on your scale. Don't open the Withings app. Check if the new weight record appears in Health app.

I have a feeling it won't. :/

eekcat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I'm using sleeptrack to... track my sleep... (While I wait for sleepcycle to get HealthKit support) and I have to open the app for the data to get exported into the Health app. Too bad it doesn't seem to work in the background.

yalag

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I'm using sleeptrack to... track my sleep... (While I wait for sleepcycle to get HealthKit support) and I have to open the app for the data to get exported into the Health app. Too bad it doesn't seem to work in the background.
So how is this supposed to work when I have 4-5 apps that does this?

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
You have to give permission for the apps to feed data into Health. Go into Sources in Health, go into each app listed, and adjust the permissions there. Then it should start feeding automatically.

Whether it works in the background, or only when you open the app depends on each app's code, and the permissions you have granted it. Like, if an app asks for permission to update in the background, and you say no, you'll have to launch the app for it to feed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.