when is enough?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UltrasTito, May 13, 2008.

1. UltrasTito macrumors newbie

Can't find what apple reccomends what is the time limit,i mean how much hours i can leave my macbook pro to do i.e. renderings on fully loaded system and not to harm it?
    anyone experienced in this?
    Best Samp Regards1

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I've left my MBP running under load for days on end (and the G4 powerbook I had before it, for that matter) without major problems (touch wood), but I'd be a bit wary if the machine is getting really hot. Thermal aging of components can be a problem in the long term if you let it overheat regularly (I have a lot of experience in this area as I used to be involved in the design of Class A audio amplification, which tends to run very hot indeed).

Apple don't publish any hard and fast rules that I'm aware of - I'd just suggest monitoring the temperature of the machine, ensuring that the screen and hard drive can sleep even if the machine itself doesn't, and don't run it that way in clamshell mode. If you can keep it somewhere cool-ish, so much the better. If it IS getting excessively warm, then you could well be reducing the life of the machine - it's one of the reasons why the MacPro has so many fans...

3. UltrasTito thread starter macrumors newbie

i think i can deal with temperature with fancontrol an smcfancontrol,leaving it with air,an my guess is that i can handle till 85C when is rendering for longer,but somewhere i read that is not reccomended to leave laptop for more than is 16hrs and not fully loaded,and not to use macbook pro for fully using system-for that to use MAC PRO
    Personlally,i think it is rubish if we are talking about apple,and if i will not use it on max(but not over it) why the hell did i buy it?!
    Best Samp Regards!

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

There really is no reason to worry. People come up with all sorts of crazy reasons why you shouldn't do this or that, like using it in clamshell mode, regardless of the fact that Apple specifically designed the MBP to be used in this fashion and doesn't state that you should limit your usage in this regard.

Just use the thing and get on with life.