When is Flash Active?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CoMoMacUser, Jul 9, 2012.

1. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I'm debating whether to install Flash on my new MBA. I want maximum battery life, but there are many sites where I need Flash. For example, I need to download Yammer, whose website requires Flash to access the download link.

Does Flash run only when the browser is running? Or is it running in the background -- and thus consuming power -- when I'm working on a Word doc or reading email?

Thanks.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Open your activity monitor and watch whenever you go to a site that uses flash.

It tells you when the safari flash plugin is running.

But to answer your question as the default it only runs when you open a flash file and stops when you close the flash

3. simsaladimbamba

It runs only when there is a Flash object active, thus a browser needs to be open and a website with Flash needs to be open too.

There are a variety of Flash blockers for all the four major browsers available.
    A Flash blocker does what it says, it blocks Flash content, but via a click on the marked Flash object, the Flash object can be activated and used.

• Safari: ClickToFlash, for which there is an extension and a plug-in; CTF allows you to download YouTube and other kinds of MPEG-4 encoded video too.
    • Opera: has a built-in Flash blocker
    • Firefox: Flashblock is an add-on to block Flash
    • Chrome: FlashBlock is an extension to block Flash