When is he next refresh expected/guessed at?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by b06tmm, Mar 20, 2014.

  1. b06tmm macrumors regular


    Jul 23, 2009
    South Louisiana
    I am notorious for buying gadgets right before a new model is released.

    When is the next expected refresh of the Macbook Air?

  2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a


    Jan 5, 2011
  3. Cole Carrera macrumors newbie

    Jan 13, 2014
    That's the time when you SHOULD buy it.

    When the product is at the peak of its life. No bugs, no crap, no regrets.

    Although of course it is in Apple's best interests for there to be no problems in any products because returns and repairs cost Apple, you're generally better off not being an early adopter.

    But then again, perhaps I should not let fear guide my purchasing decisions.

    An all-new MBA will certainly be out this year but probably not for at least a few months.

    Needing a product and delaying it is for dummies.
  4. MTL18 macrumors regular

    Jan 25, 2013
    Apple has released a new Air in June since 2011. Some guesses are saying late 2014 because of the delay in Broadwell processor manufacturing, but that is assuming that the 2014 gets Broadwell and not just a refresh.
  5. igmolinav macrumors 65816

    Aug 15, 2005

    I thought a refresh to the 11" and 13" models would be in April/May

    Kind regards,

    igmolinav : ) !!!
  6. MrT-Man macrumors regular

    Jan 22, 2008
    My guess is WWDC in June. Regardless of whether Broadwell is ready or not, IGZO is worth an update. Look what IGZO allowed them to do with the iPad, for example.
  7. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

    Aug 15, 2010
    I like being one of the first to try out new technology. I've never regretted buying any Apple product because it was too new and fresh with bugs. I think they go a pretty good job of getting things working before they release a product (at least better than most ).
  8. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 19, 2012
    I too would guess WWDC, unless they are putting Broadwell in it (more likely than not) and there is some sort of delay as a result.
  9. BenTrovato macrumors 68030


    Jun 29, 2012
    I would guess announced in June at WWDC and on sale shortly after.
  10. igmolinav, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

    igmolinav macrumors 65816

    Aug 15, 2005

    It would be cool if it was earlier the WWDC or at least the 11" and/or 13" were to be released earlier than in June. The 12" MBA could be released after the WWDC, but the other ones could be released earlier! There is another thread that reads the release would be "soon". So, for me soonish would be in two to three weeks, but nine to eleven weeks is perhaps not so soon!

    Kind regards,

    igmolinav : ) !!!
  11. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a


    Nov 16, 2010
    Didn't the current Macbook air come out in late March/Early April? So pretty soon but has intel come out with a better chip?

    Tho there are rumors of a 12 inch macbook air replacing the 11 and 13. A 12 inch for 999 isn't bad at all. It would be cool if Apple broke the $999 mark tho I see the 11 inch macbook air for $799 consistently at Best Buy and other places that sell Macs. A $800 macbook air 12 inch would be awesome. Tho I doubt Apple would take a hit on their margins. 11 inch just seems way way too small if its going to be your main computer.

    I have a base model 13 from 2013. Its awesome I get 12-15 hours of battery life. Went from a 2011 Macbook Pro 13 base model and was very happy with the results.

    Would like it if it had a bigger HD tho $200 bucks extra for 258 just wasn't worth it for me considering I upgrade every 1-2 years. I got iTunes Match that has 20k songs and 40 iTunes digital copies I own. So the storage is not awful but I actually have to worry about it unlike when I had a 500gb HD.

    Only thing they could do is add Retina but that would kill the battery life.
  12. igmolinav macrumors 65816

    Aug 15, 2005

    @crzdcolombian. I had a 12" ibook G4 and the size was perfect for me. I look for the 11" computer to take travelling with me. Being smaller, I find it very portable. As for prices, I agree with you. I would be very happy if apple would surprise us with lower prices.

    Kind regards,

    igmolinav : ) !!!
  13. psik macrumors 6502

    Aug 21, 2007
    The unveiling of a new macbook does not depend on Intel though... As u said a retina screen and for instance buttonless trackpad can come without a new chip, and battery life will remain just as long if it is the efficient retina display technology

    Also MBA is meant to be a portable device... Not one for heavy storage.. There are ultra portable hard drives for that
  14. esunsalmista macrumors newbie

    Mar 26, 2014
    Hey people, if anyone could give me some advice, I would appreciate it (I'll spare the community a thread). My little $300 Acer is as ratchet as they come: deep scratches, two missing keys, a bad fan (it's resting on an icepack right now because it can't handle even basic browsing without overheating). That being said, it's been that way for months, I've learned to handle it.

    Would a 3-4 month wait be worth it for someone who uses his laptop mainly for school? No time or interest in gaming. I use photoshop for projects when I have time, but other than that I never use anything that requires too much capacity. I would want to learn to use Logic after graduation. So I guess my question should be, would the rumored updates (even if they're true) make the wait worthwhile considering my uses? By the way, I could get a 13'' Macbook Air this week.
  15. Serban Suspended

    Jan 8, 2013
    The refresh will be on WWDC if broadwel is ready. I dont think they do a macbook air refresh again with the same haswell.
  16. copa macrumors member


    Nov 8, 2013
    that's a good point.
    I got my MBA (also my first ever Mac. No regrets. Love this beast) in December. Recently I was debating whether selling it before the refresh would make sense. You know, to get the max amount of money out of it to invest into the coming generation.

    Then again, I have a hard time believing that the new version could be SO MUCH better all in all that an upgrade this early would be warranted. Specifically because of the battery life and the fact that I don't really need a retina screen. I think the current screen is absolutely fine resolution wise but could do with better colors and viewing angles. Maybe not really enough reasons to upgrade ;-)

Share This Page