When is iOS 5 going to debut?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tailpike1153, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Some people were disappointed that iOS 5 didn't make an appearance at the iPad show yesterday. Personally, I think that Apple will probably preview elements of iOS 5 at WWDC but probably won't release it until the iPhone 5 is here ie sometime between June 2011 - July 2012. What are your thoughts?

2. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i'm with you, we won't see iOS5 until the iPhone 5 is announced similar to last year how the iPad got 3.2 except this year we'll get iOS5 for all devices in one go

3. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

iOS 5.0 will launch with the iPhone 5, likely in June and debut for the iPad at the same time this year unlike last year. That said there IS a chance that this year Apple is going to push the launch of the iPhone 5 and iOS 5 a bit later in the year, perhaps as far as August-September according to some analysts to provide extra time for development and for the Verizon iPhone 4 production to make economic sense. I think those analysts are wrong and June will be the usual launch but we will see...

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I fixed your dates.

5. snow blind macrumors regular

I also think we'll see iOS 5 with the June debut of the iPhone 5. Makes sense.

Anyone else wondering where the gestures are in 4.3?

6. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i think as someone said in another thread that they were put there for devs to test and maybe to see what kidna reaction they got. IMO adding gestures seems more worthy of a full update feature not a .x update, especially with everyone expecting the big update within a few months or 4.3's release

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

8. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I could see it getting it's own event in May like what has happened before with the other big iOS updates. It will debut side-by-side with the iPhone 5 though.

9. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

You won't see iOS 5 for iPad until October-November.

10. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

I don't think there will be a repeat of that. iOS 4.x was delayed till fall of 2010 for iPad 1 but as a result of iOS 4.0 being developed for iPhone only as the iPad team was secret even from the iOS 4.x team while being developed. That no longer is the case and iOS 5.0 development is likely simultaneous for the platforms from here on out, I would be stunned if that wasn't the case.

11. xMBPx macrumors regular

12. Actarus macrumors member

On June 5 there is scheduled event. They say it's secret, so far. So, March 2= Ipad 2... June 5 = iPhone 5?

13. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

Bingo.

14. baummer macrumors 6502a

It's a safe bet that iOS 5 will be announced in tandem with the iPhone 5, likely in June and will be released at the same time the iPhone 5 is released, likely July-September.

15. brudog68 macrumors 6502

Pardon my ignorance on the matter...but would that mean the current(new) "ipad2" would get iOS5 thru an update via iTunes, or is this something that would have to come installed on a potential ipad3?

16. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Just like last year, Apple will have a event in April to show off iOS5 to developers so they can start to build apps for what ever is new. It will officially release in June with the iPhone 5.

I just hope it doesn't take till November for a iPad version of it this time around.

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I was very disappointed not to see this yesterday. Hopefully soon. I'm really wondering what Apple has up their sleeves for iOS 5.

18. Tailpike1153 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

That CDMA iphone is what keeps bothering me. With 300 million more worldwide CDMA subscribers, it would seem to make sense that Apple would try and put that phone into those others carriers hands. Give those carriers sometime to put phone into customer hands before the iPhone world phone comes out. I would like to be suprised.

19. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

In hindsight it is obvious Apple is withholding the typical iOS 5.0 demo conference for developers (usually March) until just after the launch of iPad 2 on March 11. In fact last year they delayed the iOS 4.0 demo conference until the week after the April launch of iPad and announced the date of the demo the day AFTER the iPad 1 launch. Why? They didn't want to demo the iPad 2 and show all the cool things it can do this summer with iOS 5.0 because you might be tempted to just wait for iOS 5.0 to buy it. Instead the early adopters will be out in force on March 11.

20. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

WWDC this year will be very Mac-oriented with Lion so I doubt iOS 5 will be a big highlight there. I'm guessing an April keynote as per usual.

21. zenio macrumors 6502

Here's my take on it.

Apple's operating at a very frenetic pace now.

So by collapsing one's expectations to zero, anything that actually materializes will be interesting whether it's good or bad.

Hey, it's Apple. A company with a very unusual way of operating.

22. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

So then a later keynote for the iPhone 5 (you HAVE to have an iPhone keynote) and later than usual launch of iPhone 5 this year?

23. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

They'll do a dev preview in the not too distant future. I'd say mid April ish. Each prior years iOS dev preview has gotten about a week later year over year so if that trend holds then it'll be mid April this year.

Then it'll ship with the iPhone 5 in June, and hit the iPad either then or innn the fall as with past iOS updates. It'd he nice if apple finally unifies the code such that it can be made available for all devices concurrently rather than the delay the release for the iPad.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

By "debut" I understand OP to mean "developer preview." In the past Apple has held special previews for devs in the spring so they could prepare their apps for the forthcoming iPhone in the summer. If iOS 5 was not shown off until iPhone 5 then iPhone5 would likely not ship with iOS 5. Maybe that will happen this year. Always time for a first.

I'm putting my chips on an iOS 5 preview in April and and iPhone 5 announcement before WWDC and on sale after WWDC. WWDC Keynote in June will be mostly about OS X 10.7. 10.7 will go on sale in time for back to school laptop refreshes.