When is it necessary to close apps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Virgo, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

So I just found out how to close apps on iPad. I had a million open, but everything was functioning fine. Is there a situation where closing apps is necessary?

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I thought there were only something like 100,000 even available for iPad.

Anyway, no. There's never a situation where you need to close them down. The OS does it for you if it needs to. Just use and enjoy.

3. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

The only time I close mine is when my iPad seems to be running slower, which isn't very often.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

4. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

Watch out for GPS apps in the background.

Those suckers can kill a batt in no time.

5. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

GPS apps should only run in the background when they are actively tracking. There will always be the compass arrow on the top of the screen when they are running.

Anyways, the only time I close apps is when there is some sort of glitch, which is rare, but does happen from time to time. For example a news app I have will sometimes freeze up and not load anything. Because of the state saving, when I open it back up after a normal single click of the home button close, it opens back up to the same frozen state. Completely killing the app in the multi-tasking bar and then restarting it solves the problem.

6. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

I have found that if I have a lot of apps open and I am in my email trying to delete a lot of messages the mail app will crash. If I close all the apps and try again everything is fine

7. msavwah macrumors 6502

To kill an app so you can relaunch it fresh. Sometimes I'll have one that's stuck in a certain state or is buggin so that's what I use it for.

8. WilliamG macrumors G3

I don't find this to be true. Safari is considerably more sluggish if I don't have enough free memory. More chequerboard patterns as I scroll etc, and other games/apps can get a tad laggy, too, in certain circumstances. iOS 4 simply doesn't do a great job with this. This goes for the iPad and iPhone etc.

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

+1. VoIP programs also consume battery in the background.

So to those who say there's never a reason to shut down an app: yah, but.

10. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Only if you're in a VOIP call. No apps 'run in the background' on iOS. iOS has no true multitasking. The method Apple are using is readily available for reading about on the web or Wikipedia's iOS page.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Well technically Pandora runs in the background, as does Navigon. I can be doing something else on my phone, even on the phone, and Navigon will still give me directions on where to turn and what to do.

12. WilliamG macrumors G3

Right, and something is certainly running in the background for me to get incoming calls over Skype/Viber etc.

13. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

If everything works the way it's suppose to, you shouldn't have to. Unfortunately things don't always do, so if you notice any type of significant slow down or battery loss, then you close those programs.

14. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

When/if they malfunction in a way. Then it usually help with a fresh start

15. fpnc macrumors 68000

That's not exactly "true." There are three classes of services (audio, location, and voip) that apps can use to accomplish tasks in the background. In fact, you can run almost anything in the background as long as the task can be completed in a limited amount of time (about 10 minutes, although I believe that you could be terminated earlier than that if the system runs low on resources -- like battery, memory, etc.).

Thus, while you can't run anything that you'd like in the background for unlimited amounts of time you can run a defined set of services in the background for essentially any length of time OR any type of background operation for a limited amount of time.

16. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Then how can applications like Spotify continue streaming music while I browse the web, check e-mail, or like?

17. AceCoolie macrumors regular

+1. I've also had apps like You don't know Jack throw an error that I don't have enough memory and refuse to start until I closed some apps. When I get messages like this, I check my mem using System Status and I usually have < 5 megs free.

18. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have found that at times when I'm trying to print I run out of memory and have to close apps. So now I simply close all of them when I finish using my iPad. And sometimes I close them if things start to run slow. It definitely makes a difference.

19. iPutz macrumors member

I always kill Pandora when I'm finished just to make sure it doesn't run in the background and eat up my minutes.

20. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

Oh snap!

21. bmat macrumors 6502

This also is when I kill apps. My work makes me use a separate e-mail program, and every so often it just stops sending and receiving so I kill it and it starts working again.