When is it safe to buy?

drive428

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
38
0
Bakersfield
When will it be safe to buy Mac products again? I am eager to buy and and want to know now! I don't want to be screwed out of a deal with some updates coming up and prices dropping.
 

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
438
0
I think a week from now (or two??) is time enough for Apple to put all their speedbumps or price drops in place that will stand for a few months?

Can someone else chime in to share your thoughts on this?

Most people have been telling me to wait a week or 2 after MWSF to buy any product I want if it's not updated during the Keynote.
 

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
935
0
Dallas, Texas
drive428 said:
When will it be safe to buy Mac products again? I am eager to buy and and want to know now! I don't want to be screwed out of a deal with some updates coming up and prices dropping.
I would wait about a week, by then you should have a much clearer picture of what's coming down the pike.
 

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
856
0
Okay, lol, what were you looking to buy?

It's never safe to buy Apple products, but we do it anyway. :D

If it's going to come out soon, it will probably be announced (or at least mentioned) in tomorrow's MWSF keynote. If the Powerbook, iPod Mini, Powermacs or other existing hardware get updates, you can be sure those will be show up on the Apple store the same afternoon. I mean, would you buy a 4gig Mini for $249 when a 5gig Mini for $249 has just been announced? Yeah.

Check the buyer's guide to get an idea whether what you're interested in is possibly slated for an update soon: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com
 

drive428

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
38
0
Bakersfield
I have seen the buyers guide, but I still want to make sure that I don't lose some money here. According to the buyers guide, it is a good time to buy, but MWSF could update iBook. I'm so torn!
 

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
856
0
drive428 said:
I have seen the buyers guide, but I still want to make sure that I don't lose some money here. According to the buyers guide, it is a good time to buy, but MWSF could update iBook. I'm so torn!
Hahaha, I will personally give you a cookie if MWSF brings an iBook update. :D

The iBooks were JUUUST updated, and if the past update periods are any indication, they won't be updated for another, umm, 1.5cm of pink bar. :D

I know it's scary, I know there are a lot of rumors about a lot of products going around, but if you want an iBook ... just get it. :D
 

drive428

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
38
0
Bakersfield
Well, if I could get to my parents credit card, I'd order it now. Guess I'll wait untill tomorrow. NOOOOO!
 

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
856
0
Oh ya, sorry, should also mention ...

Amazon.com is running some really nice deals on the iBooks ... they have rebates of $100-$150, and you don't pay tax (since you're in CA too, I see). Just another thought. ;)
 

McMakMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2004
15
0
dotnina said:
Amazon.com is running some really nice deals on the iBooks ... they have rebates of $100-$150, and you don't pay tax (since you're in CA too, I see). Just another thought. ;)
and you can get a free printer if you get it by tonight. the htime is a little tight :p but keep checking the apple store online for deals like this.


"Purchase a Mac and a qualifying Epson printer between November 2, 2004, and January 10, 2005 and get up to $100 back by mail."
Print Out Cash In
 

dnnx

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
32
0
wait till after the keynote,
if there are any other shows Soon wait tilll them, but all the big stuff will be anounced tuesday
 

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
1,897
0
To paraphrase (somewhat) a lot of other posts. Buy when it meets your needs, right after an update cycle if you want the best product for a period. Apple products will generally be the best bet unless you buy right before a major upgrade is due. More succinctly, everything is a fairly good bet after tomorrow except the PowerBook series which will probably go from a G4 to a G5. The latest G4 PB (relying on rumors) will be worthy, but nothing like what the G5 PBs will be. Adding to that, when the G5 PBs arrive, the ibooks will probably inherit the best G4 chips, which will make them a great deal if the price does not change. There is a lot hanging on when the PBs finally reach G5 chips, iBooks wise especially.
 

ekitel

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2005
13
0
I was waiting to buy a PowerMac G5, but since Steve didn't announce the 3.0 today I figured it was safe to go ahead an order it this afternoon, I hope I made the right decision!
 

busasa

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004
40
0
How about when Tiger releases, this OS seems very nice! My estimation is around June.
 

drive428

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
38
0
Bakersfield
Mr. G4 said:
If you order after the 22nd you might have iLife 05 with your iBook :)
Looks like you are a little too late in telling me that. Oh well, I'll enjoy what I get.
joey4127 said:
Why amazon not macmall.com?
Never heard of macmall and I got a $150 rebate, free shipping and no tax.
 

kotovasii

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2002
37
1
England
PB updates 22 January?

I have just read on the other thread that PB will be updated on 22 January?! Is it true? I have been waiting now for several months to upgrade my laptop to a PB, and was hoping to order one after this Keynote, but they have not made any upgrades, Buyer's Guide tell us NOT to buy... So where is the answer? Somebody out there should know if they at least upgrade current PB G4? Also if G5 is introduced say Summer time - we shall not get them for a few months anyway with all usual delays...
What a mess!