When is it time to reinstall?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by indigotheory, May 7, 2009.

1. indigotheory macrumors regular

Ok so youve had your new mac, installed loads of stuff to try everything and the world just simply because you can, youve messily uninstalled stuff along the way, is it time to reinstall and just put what youve found to be what you just need and the quality software on it?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'd probably do it to save HD space when I start asking myself "Is it time to reinstall?"

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Never, there is no registry to muck up, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead. It won't hurt.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you just trash (and empty) the stuff you don't want... any residue that is left is minimal. As r.j.s. says, it won't hurt, but it isn't really necessary unless you are experiencing problems.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. indigotheory thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, thats two major things ive now found out about macs! theres no registry and the core2duo in the aluminiums are 64-bit!

When you uninstall stuff either by dragging it to the trash or using something like appzapper, do any files get left behind, and where are they?

As when you install things in windows files get put everywhere.

Thanks in advance

6. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Any supporting files that get left behind can be found under:

If installed for current user only,

OS X/Users/"username"/Library/Application Support

If installed for all users,

OS X/Library/Application Support