Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by dilgit, Jun 27, 2012.
Will ML GM be released this coming Monday 7/2?
I believe apple said July so I'm pretty sure it will be later in the month and certainly not before a major US holiday.
Lion's GM arrived July 1 so Monday is possible. We just received a patch, though, so I think the following Monday is a safer bet.
Apple says it's coming in July but what does that mean? July is in 2 days...
Whenever they are ready
July means at some point between July 1st and July 31st
Probably late in July. There have been reports of blackout dates for apple resellers the week of the 23rd so probably around then.
Actually it's more likely to be one of 21 days and not 1 of 31 days as the release is unlikely to be on a Saturday or Sunday or July 4th.
To cut down the possible days even further, it might be on a Friday like most OS X releases. Or more likely, it will be a Tuesday or Wednesday along with refreshed hardware (iMac? Mini?).
As for which day and which week it's all guess work.
I see Apple released new printer drivers (Epson & Canon). This means (Mac) OS X 10.7.5 in the next 2-4 weeks, probably together with Mountain Lion. iMacs, Mac minis and iWork '12 probably in Q4/2012.
I'm sure they would be the first to know :roll eyes: They would find out the same day we do.
I don't believe they would force blackout dates for a software release, that's got to be a hardware blackout. (Maybe a new mini, iMac)
I'm starting to think ML may be coming earlier in July than even I was thinking. The apple.com website has almost been completely switched over to ML. All that's really left to change at this point is the desktop images on the computer screens.
Finally.... the voice of common sense and reason. Nice work
It seems to me that the GM version will be released on Monday, July 2nd.
I can't see them waiting that long, iWork is atrocious on the Retina MBPs, and on their main page they explicitly tell us updates are coming to the rest of Apple's software "soon". I don't see waiting for Q4 as soon.
With all the problems Lion has had, like recently making machines not bootable with the latest update, I think the blackout has very much to do with the release of ML. They wouldn't release it this week because of the holiday, that's right. Otherwise people are going to be stuck since the servers are going to be clogged up with people downloading, and if something happens, there won't be an Apple Store open nearby to go get some assistance.
How it was with Lion's GM ? Was it able to "update" / "upgrade" to Final release just by downloading and update or proper install was necessary? I mean if I install ML now or even wait for GM, will I be able to without any issues update to Final version without reinstalling?
Unless something drastic happens, the GM will be the exact same release as the final App Store version - updatable to 10.8.1, 10.8.2, etc. Lion was like that. In fact, if you had the GM installed the App Store recognized it as the release version and wouldn't allow you to buy Lion in the store.
Aha, okay, sounds good to me, since I've bought a qualifying mac after June 11th, so I wont bother buying anyway - so Ill just redeem a code from Apple and that's it!
Lion GM came on July 1st and retail version on 20 July. So i think we'll see ML GM this week. No way they release a GM version by the end of July. They give the developers a final version before the official release to test their apps.
I'm sorry to bother you guys, but ... what's the meaning of GM ???
Golden Master aka Final version which also comes to the Appstore 2/3 week after the release of the GM.
GM is the same version which you can buy later in the Appstore but is early available for developers to test their apps on the final version
Expect GM later today.
Thank you very much for the explanation ...
How can you be so sure ?
Plus, one more question ... a GM is exactly the same stuff that will be sold in 2/3 weeks or is it slightly different ?