When is new Apple TV hardware due out?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by slheinlein, Nov 14, 2009.

1. slheinlein macrumors newbie

I am thinking about purchasing a Apple TV but curious on when the next hardware version is due out. I just started looking so not sure how old the current HW version is and when the next one is due out. Don't want to buy one and then have the new version out two weeks later.

2. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

There are a lot of questions as to when it will come out. Nothing out of Apple I have seen. They did just update the interface but that is all I've seen and I would assume if there was a new product for the holidays it would have been announced by now.

3. slheinlein thread starter macrumors newbie

Why never? Does it not sell well?

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Apple considers it a hobby, aka, they don't sell a lot of them.

They don't put money into things that won't make them 5x profit back, maybe that's why they are so successful, just sucks since the Apple TV is such a great device.

My guess would be next year at the iPod event, so that'd peg it around 2010...That's Apple for you.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Other than price drops and HD changes there hasn't been a new model since it was released nearly 3 years ago.

6. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

I've been wanting one for awhile, but have waited for an update. Hasn't happened yet and I might cave. It's a great product as is, but could be so much more.

7. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

Probably about 3 weeks after you buy an ATV...

Being more serious, I can see the next ATV using a single chip solution instead of the cpu/northbridge/GPU model to lower the cost and reduce power consumption. Remember, the first HD-DVD players were basically PCs in boxes, but today's BluRay players have scaled down to on-chip solutions.

It's likely it'll use the same internals as the tablet in the ATV2 - so it's likely we'll see a release once tablet demand has settled down - moreso if it ties in with Apple securing 1080p content/tv and-or film subscription deals with the studios.

Oh - and am I right in thinking the .m4v file is sort of an Apple-derived standard as although renaming .mp4-.m4v works, only .m4v supports "non-standard" features such as AC3 audio and chapters? If so Apple need to expand its spec to allow DTS as I can't see HD audio coming to downloads anytime soon (maybe DolbyDigital+).

8. dmm219 macrumors 6502

what will make the ATV eventually compelling is iTunes, not the hardware. Once iTunes becomes more essential for TV and movies (and more affordable), they will sell a lot more ATVs.

My guess is that Apple is working overtime right now trying to get this 29.99 subscription iTunes deal through. Once that happens, LOTS of people will be wanting to get an ATV because it will now be a true Cable replacement.

Apple isn't focused on the ATV hardware, and won't be until there is a large enough market for it.

9. Dapness macrumors member

Agreed. Everyone is waiting for new hardware to come out, including myself, but I think the reality is that they really don't need to put it out at the moment. As old as it is it still does what it's supposed to do which is play iTunes media. Sure it would be nice it they juiced it up to play 1080p movies, external hard drive support without hacking, native boxee and netflix, multiple format support, but Apple doesn't want you to do that. iTunes doesn't and probably won't serve up 1080p content for a while and all the other bells and whistles take away from iTunes.

I hope I eat my words at the next Apple event but I don't see it happening.

On a side note I love my Apple TV. I think the interface, as simple as it is, is very intuitive and better than the competition. My 4 year old has no problem navigating it. I also just started ripping my blu-rays to MKV and then to MP4 for my Apple TV. Honestly the picture is great and really isn't discernable from the actual blu-ray at 12 feet on a 54" plasma (VERY minor if any difference). I'd love to have a mini running plex but can't justify $500 - $600 when I'm already pretty satisified.

10. mucky.fingers macrumors newbie

On a side note what Handbrake settings are you using?

11. Dapness macrumors member

Using this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=541517

I personally use average bitrate at 5500 kbps. Looks fine to me. I'm keeping the MKVs thinking one day I'll have projector and giant screen to take advantage of them.