When is Ram Ever Going To Go Down In Price :(?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flipster, May 3, 2010.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

I really want to upgrade my iMac to 6gb of 800 mhz ram, but the prices are insane. $200 for 6gb is a lot. I really would like to find some deals but I can't. Could someone help me out?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

RAM is a commodity that goes by supply and demand. Price may go down or up depending on market factors, availability of parts, etc.

3. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Go down in price? I remember when it was $600 per MEG

4. omeletpants macrumors regular

Get real. 15 years ago that would have been $12,000. $200? OMG!!!!!:eek:

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

True. I remember back in 1993 when 4MB ram (yes, that's 4MB) would cost over $100. I couldn't afford that back then so I had my computer running at what it came with which may have been that 4MB.

Remember when a 500MB HD was considered huge?

6. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

A company I worked for made good money selling RAM as an accessory. We bought 1MB boards for DEC LSI-11 Q-Bus computers for $5,000 and sold them for $10,000. Very popular item.

I was assigned over seas long ago. I had a 10MB HD with a built in 8-inch floppy disk drive for development. It broke and I had to carry it back to the airport to fly it back to the US for repair. It weighed like 80 pounds and my hands were sore from carrying it. When I tell my kids this story they say "Dad, you are such a liar. There is no such thing as a 10MB HD."

I was in an Apple store recently and the fellow working there referred to the HD as a Winchester drive. I laughed and said I hadn't heard that term in ages.

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

The recession forced many of the fab companies to pull back on the production, which increases the price while supply goes down. This won't change for another year or two until the fab companies finish switching to smaller process technologies for the RAM which will reduce the price while doubling in capacity. Also the smaller the nm, the harder it is to scale down further which means more time and less chance of price dropping like we seen in the mid 2000s.

8. MacStu09 macrumors regular

Just shop around. I bought 4gb from newegg for $39.99 a couple months ago. They had an amazing RAM sale. I agree 6gb for $200 is ridiculous. Not when I could've got 16gb in 2gb modules for less than that just a little while back. If you look hard enough, you'll find a deal.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, these sales happen occasionally. I had a 2007 MBP that I was able to get 4GB ram for less than $100 at BestBuy one night a few years back. Everyone one Macrumors insisted that I had to be lying because there was no way I could have gotten that kind of a deal at BestBuy, yet I did.

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

DDR2 ram is just going to go up, not down, especially since DDR3 is mainstream and DDR4 is around the corner.

Suck it up and pay $200 for it. I paid over $400 for 1x4GB DDR2 667MHz ram 2 years ago.