When is Snow Leopard Coming Out and When Should I Buy a New Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by killwill169, Feb 3, 2009.

1. killwill169 macrumors member

Thinking of buying a macbook pro, but heard that snow leopard is coming out pretty soon, probably first or third quarter of 2009. Was wondering if anyone here would recommend me about when exactly would be the right time to buy, and when is snow leopard coming out. Also, I was wondering if the new macbook pros with snow leopard are better because of operating system enhancements or hardware enhancements, or software enhancements. I was also wondering, when I buy a new mac computer, does the package include the mac os x leopard install disc that one can buy at a store for 100 or so dollars. If it does, I plan on installing snow leopard on my intel mac, though I think it doesn't work on my ppc. Please recommend me. Thanks.

Will

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Snow Leopard: We have no clue.
    MacBook Pro: Now.

You get restore disks when you buy it, and Snow Leopard will not work on PowerPC; that's correct.

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Snow Leopard might come out in July but it might not, we don't know and the MacBook Pro is a great computer right now but if you don't wanna upgrade to SL yourself you could wait.

It's up to you if you want to wait or not either way you're still getting a great computer.

ChrisN

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. killwill169 thread starter macrumors member

So can the restore disks be used to install on intel macs? And also, when installing over tiger, will snow leopard erase my hard drive or will all the contents there? is it safer to backup? thanks, btw, for replying

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The restore disks only work on the computer with which they came.

You can just do a straight upgrade from Tiger; no deleting necessary.