when is Speck Smart Shell coming out?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ekinnyc, May 1, 2012.

1. ekinnyc macrumors member

when is the damn Speck Smart Shell coming out? thats all i want for my ipad - a slim back, a metal strip, and good grip. i saw the incase snapcase at bestbuy, for $50 :eek:

so many back covers out there... can we get an index going?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. ekinnyc thread starter macrumors member

why wouldnt they? theyre a major maker of cases/accessories, i cant imagine they wouldnt perpetuate their product line?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't know. Anything anyone says here is speculation really.

5. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

Just had a chat with Speck and this is the response I got:

Operator Admiral William Chatner has joined the chat.

Admiral William Chatner1:54:15 PM
    Hello! Thank you for contacting Speck! How may I help you?

Visitor1:55:03 PM
    Do you currently offer a SmartShell for the new iPad?

Admiral William Chatner1:56:09 PM
    Not yet but we will as soon as late this wee or sometime next week!

Visitor1:57:25 PM
    Ok great

Admiral William Chatner1:57:27 PM
    oops I meant to type this week! not wee

Visitor1:57:35 PM
    Ok great, thanks for the help!

Admiral William Chatner1:58:05 PM
    Thank you so much for contacting Speck! Have a great day!

6. riverwater macrumors member

I pre-ordered this speck smart shell 3 weeks ago from MacMall, hopefully, as seeharrison found out, I will receive it this or next week.

7. tuan time macrumors member

I see what you did there.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh I only hope to be that clever!

9. b3thomso macrumors member

Not to bump up an older thread but the clear one is in stock at jr.com and macmall.com but not on Specks website. I have yet to see the black one anywhere though. I follow Speck on facebook and their person that answers everyones questions said that they are waiting for the black to be shipped in and then they will put it on their website so customers have a choice.

Im sure some people have received one by now. Still waiting on pictures and/or a youtube review. Im surprised metagamers hasnt got his hands on one yet.

10. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

I have reached out to Speck a number of times to obtain review cases and get denied each time (maybe they don't like me) :p

Unless its an iPhone case (I really like their iPhone cases) - I will not buy iPad cases from their website because it is just too expensive and I find their iPad line to be really hit or miss. If I happen to see this Shell or the new Mag Folio in Target I might give it a go since I can return it if I do not like it.

On another note, if you guys are looking for a shell with a magnetic strip on the back you really should look at the Devicewear Union. I did a video review on it and I honestly feel it is the best shell out there for the iPad 2 & 3rd generation. Best part its under $20!

11. b3thomso macrumors member

Interesting. I have seen your vid on the Devicewear. Im thinking about that one too. I have a dark gray smart cover and was thinking that the darker smoke gray one would look nice. I like that you can see through it. I wish their black one did the same.

12. taylord22 macrumors regular

That looks great, but unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't have the back magnet -and- smart cover lock, correct?

13. b3thomso macrumors member

The Devicewear does have a back magnet but does not have the Smartcover lock

14. sofasurfer macrumors member

The smartshell is on Speck's site but as I'm in the Uk I'm waiting on a UK retailer to have it in stock. Does anyone know of any yet?

15. b3thomso macrumors member

Outfityours.com just posted a little review on youtube for the new smartshell. Seems like its the same as the one for the ipad 2 except the demensions are to fit the 3rd gen ipad. I dont have the link but just search for it.