When is the all-new MBPro due?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by radicaldog, Aug 30, 2010.

1. radicaldog macrumors member

We've had two versions in the same chassis, so when will we get new laptops? Any reasonably reliable information?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Deducing from the dozen of threads per months on this, not for the foreseeable future. The Aluminium design stayed with us for 5 1/2 years. The Unibody design is not even two years old, publicly of course.
    Apple will take its time for the next new design, as there is only so much you can do with that form factor anyway.

[​IMG]

Btw, MBP is a legitimate abbreviation for MacBook Pro. MB is short for MacBook and there is no other MBP machine to need to add "ro" to it.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Apple had multiple versions in the same chassis from 2003 to 2008 so don't expect any "All New MBP" anytime soon.

4. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

As a recent purchaser of the 13" MBP, I hope they keep the form factor running through a rendition or two. This way the new ones will look just like mine and I won't be wishing I had one of the new ones!

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd give it at least another three years, but it could be any length of time really.

6. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Is there something wrong with the current form factor? Why fix something that isn't broken in the first place.

I don't see any other laptop on the market that has yet to come close to the same quality and feel of my MBP.

7. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

nobody else thinks they're going to do something to the MBP Body with LiquidMetal for 2011 or 2012?

8. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

I think now is the perfect time to buy the 2010 MBP. That way by the time our computers are actually old (in 2-3 years) the ALL NEW Macbook Pro will have just come out. They won't redesign the case for a few years still.

9. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Do you honestly think anyone here a.) knows the answer b.) would reveal if they knew?

10. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Close your eyes and try to imagine a cell phone not changing for five and one half years.

Why do laptops stay the same?
    --

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Because Apple can? Maybe it will not be this long this time, as the Titanium PB only lasted two years (2001 - 2003) and the black PB G3 only four, with alterations.

The thing is though, how much simpler can it get? Or thinner? The Ethernet port slightly determines the thickness besides other components. Maybe when the ODD will be removed, we will see an alteration or new design.

And why change it after merely two years, after Apple spent so much time unifying them all?

They are still unique anyway.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't have to imagine. The Vertu line of phones have not changed their design in last decade.

Laptops… Thinkpads have pretty much been the same for a couple years now.

13. slawo macrumors newbie

They don't stay the same, other brands keep coming up with new designs to please the eye.

But Apple's Unibody design is an answer to a problem all laptop builders have. By using only one piece of metal for the main part of the shell to insure the rigidity of the entire laptop they reduce the complexity of the internal design. They also insure higher resistance to bending, pressing and shocks. They simplify the assembly process the disassembly and recycling processes and end-up with easier maintenance processes.

The looks were important to Apple as usual, and they came up with a simple, good looking computer.

Next time they update the design it will be:
    • if they can't fit new internal components... even after redesigning the internal layout.
    • if they can't produce enough laptops to satisfy the customer demand.
    • if a new design solves a problem they cannot solve with the current one.
    • if Steve Jobs get bored of the current design.

To us consumers it's not bad, we don't have to buy new cases, screen protections, and other accessories every-time we update our laptops.
    It's also nice to know that your laptop will not "look outdated" next season.

Also we have a much larger choice of protections, sleeves and modding accessories for our laptops than any other brand users, because the accessory makers have a limited number of laptop shapes to support and they don't have to change their accessories every time Apple updates their laptops.

14. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's a really good point, even though I seldom use those accessories except for a sleeve and now a case for my one year old.

15. dipm06 macrumors member

i'm guessing after revision D. so that would be sometime next year. i'm only going by the imac redesign cycle. it was redesigned in 2007 then again in 2009. however, some product designs last longer like the macmini, the powerbook design was the basis of the original macbook pro design, however there were differences.

the soonest i can see the redesign happening is august next year. the macbook pro came out in 2006 and was redesigned in 2008.

16. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Those are "finishes". Asus came out with a "bamboo" finish. The thing is still heavy. The screen isn't markedly different than what was sold five years ago, and they still can't make a backlit keyboard except on their ridiculous gaming rigs.

In fact, Sony's screens -with the exception of the Z- are far worse than what they sold five years ago.

The MB Air was a new design. It's three years old, and even the internals have barely advanced in that time frame. Most consider it a fashion design, a $1600 netbook with poor battery life for a netbook.

The Sony Z was an advance. A three pound laptop with a 13" screen that had the performance of a midrange desktop. It solved all the performance failings of the Air at the same weight.

The Toshiba Portege sold at Best Buy for $800- is an advance as well. Not as good as the Sony Z, but the same weight and less than half the price.

That's it really for the last three years.

Laptop magazine reviews as many cell phones as laptops. They can't put out a monthly magazine on laptops alone because nothing is happening.

Automobiles are more frequently redesigned than laptops.
    --

17. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

The current model is sexy goodness, why do you need a new design? The next design will probably be with Liquid Metal

18. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Hey, I don't want to be a huge noob or anything, but how exactly would a liquid metal case be that different? I don't even really understand what liquid metal is. I've done some googling and it seems like it'd just be stronger?

19. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Aluminium is quote a soft material, it dents quite easy. A stronger metal would make those problems go away, and it would make the MBP lighter again.

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

and people will still complain.

21. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

I couldn't imagine it being much lighter than it already is :confused:.

22. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

We always need something to bitch about, don't we? Wait till the iPhone gets a Xeon CPU, then "excrements" will fly, because people will still complain, that even that CPU won't make writing tweets or making calls fast enough.

At least we can bitch about those people, and others can bitch about us bitch bitchers.

23. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

it doesn't dent (well it does, but then it resumes it's shape) and is lighter, stronger...

24. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Let me get this straight. When these new MBP's come out, I can pick it up and throw it at the wall, then run over it with my truck and it will reanimate into its previous form? I imagining someone crushing their MBP into a ball and having it slowly unfurl with ominous music and lightning in the background. Is that what will happen?

Because that is pretty awesome.

25. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes.