When is the back to school free iPod promotion?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wako, May 19, 2007.

1. wako macrumors 65816

I guess the title explains it all. It it usually July or June that they start the promotion?

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

there was a thread on this but my memory serves me in June for HS graduates

3. mBurns macrumors 6502

Yes, there was recently a thread on this exact subject.

You may want to look here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=304996

To sum it up for you, no one knows if Apple will do an iPod promotion this year via the edu discount. It's anyone's guess. That being said, usually Apple does an iPod promotion for the back to school season starting in July (if I remember correctly) and going to early September. These times aren't exact but every summer they usually have one of these promotions; ending up liquidating their old iPod stock for the new iPods around the corner.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

5. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Search function is your friend :).

Early June - Mid June is my guess :)

6. joe91584 macrumors newbie

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The back to school offer should be up by the end of this month.

8. bleufire macrumors member

It also says "The entry iMac 17-inch 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo with Combo Drive (part number MA406LL/A) and any configure-to-order version of this product also are not eligible for this offer."

Does that mean that you have to buy it AS IS off the site? If so then that means no extra RAM or Video upgrades which is almost a must...

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No, it was only the configure-to-order versions of the entry-level model. It was a stripped-down EDU-only model that was briefly available to individuals before being made institution-only.

Configure-to-order versions of all other iMac models were fine.

10. alwaysaangel macrumors regular

I didn't think I'd have to wait for this - but I asked my mother and she wants an ipod if I can get it for free.

Now I have to wait at least 2 more weeks to get a MBP.

How many years in a row have they had this promotion? Or was this year the first time?

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They've done it at least the last two years. I can't remember if they had one in 2004.

12. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

I believe Apple did do it in 2004. 2005 was when i got my first mac and before I bought, people kept telling me that they would be doing this promotion and to wait it out.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I wonder if Apple will want to keep the rebate for the ipods, or do something special with the iPhone. It would make sense to help iPhone sales by giving Mac buyers a $100 (or in the neighborhood) rebate on the iPhone. A year ago, I would have found this absurd, but Jobs and Co. seem to be betting on the iPhone, and they might do something special in order to help it get off the ground.

14. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Apple had this promo in 2003. I got a $200 rebate on the 3rd generation 40 gig iPod

15. robk macrumors member

They did it in 2004, it was called Cram and Jam, I got cashback in the uk on a 20gig 4th gen.

I work for a University so am going to wait for my MBP purchase to see if the offer returns, give the free ipod to my partner, that will earn me a few brownie points

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

See now the problem is, I'm going to probably be getting a Macbook Pro this summer, so I'll have to decide what iPod to get. I already have a 60GB 5G and a 2G shuffle. Any ideas? lol