Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I'm going to need a new iPad by early November of this year, which unfortunately means I can't wait until Black Friday.

It doesn't have to be the latest model, but I do want a new one as opposed to a used or refurbished one.

Is there any time between now and the beginning of November when Apple or any retailers (online or in store) have good deals on iPads, such as clearance prices on old models when new models come out?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm going to need a new iPad by early November of this year, which unfortunately means I can't wait until Black Friday.

It doesn't have to be the latest model, but I do want a new one as opposed to a used or refurbished one.

Is there any time between now and the beginning of November when Apple or any retailers (online or in store) have good deals on iPads, such as clearance prices on old models when new models come out?

Watch for back-to-school sales starting within the next 2/3 weeks. Mainly in-store retailers will be offering discounts and will price match most competitors.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA

Best Buy has the older iPad Pro's with a nice discount right now. A 32 gig 9.7 can be had for $425 which is a great deal since the plain iPad non pro with less features and slower processor is $329

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-9...-wifi-32gb-space-gray/4901907.p?skuId=4901907

There are also folks getting the older pro at walmart for $299. Havent found any in stock at walmart by me yet.

Best Buy has decent deal on mini 4 as well with 128g.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-mini-4-wi-fi-128gb-space-gray/4265700.p?skuId=4265700

Reactions: Feenician

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
Best Buy has the older iPad Pro's with a nice discount right now. A 32 gig 9.7 can be had for $425 which is a great deal since the plain iPad non pro with less features and slower processor is $329

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-9...-wifi-32gb-space-gray/4901907.p?skuId=4901907

There are also folks getting the older pro at walmart for $299. Havent found any in stock at walmart by me yet.

Best Buy has decent deal on mini 4 as well with 128g.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-mini-4-wi-fi-128gb-space-gray/4265700.p?skuId=4265700

I bought a 128GB 9.7 Pro from Best Buy last week for $499.99 plus sales tax. They seem to have settled at 524.99 at Best Buy at present, but stores seem intent on clearing them out, so they may not be around much longer.

Also, several states have a tax free weekend in conjunction with back to school sales. Ours (SC) is next weekend. If you can find a sale and no sales tax, that may be about as well as you do till Black Friday.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Hold out for recent release refurbs. But if it's getting close, one of the major B&M stores usually has a $100-$150 off sale every other week it seems.

Diving Capers

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
If you are buying a new Pro then the best time is probably now as you get a free pair of Beats, which you could sell if you don't want them and make some of the money back.

Or just wait and when you see a special offer/discount that looks good buy it.

Reactions: Precursor

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Best times:
1. On day 1 of release. This maximizes the age of the device
2. On early discounts. Apple devices don't get discounted often, but retailers sometimes do have minimal discounts just after release date. Problem is inventory is usually limited.
3. Back to school promos. If Apple keeps the pattern on releasing iPad Pros on WWDC, then this is a good deal.
4. Black Friday. Kinda a gamble, but watch for bundles/mild discounts from retailers.
5. When Apple has the refurbished version. Cheaper iPads with new battery and same warranty. What's not to like? But sometimes you have to wait for inventory to come up, and selections can get limited.
6. If you actually prefer the older model, best time would be after the new model is released. Retailers will put the last year's model on discounts to clear inventory.

Worst time: 2nd and 1st quarter of the year (unless you aim for refurbished model). Simply because we expect new ones to come out on WWDC, and the older ones don't get discounted just yet.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
Any particular reason you don't want a refurb? Especially if you aren't buying the latest version - they're virtually brand new in almost every way, even down to the warranty... except they're called refurbished and are cheaper

Reactions: akash.nu

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
You might be able to snag a deal on last years Pro or the 2017 iPad on Black Friday. Doubtful that they'll put the new Pros on sale so I wouldn't recommend holding out for that. If you absolutely need one now, just buy it. No use in waiting when you don't even know what your waiting for.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
You might be able to snag a deal on last years Pro or the 2017 iPad on Black Friday. Doubtful that they'll put the new Pros on sale so I wouldn't recommend holding out for that. If you absolutely need one now, just buy it. No use in waiting when you don't even know what your waiting for.

I got a iPad Pro 9.7 32GB for $360! Open box at BB. New was $424. I don't think it'll get better than $175 off my friend!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I got a iPad Pro 9.7 32GB for $360! Open box at BB. New was $424. I don't think it'll get better than $175 off my friend!

You're probably right about the savings. Just my preference, but I do not trust open box items from Best Buy. I personally would have paid the difference of $64.00 to have a new device. Having new is worth it to me over how someone else could have handled the device before me.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
You're probably right about the savings. Just my preference, but I do not trust open box items from Best Buy. I personally would have paid the difference of $64.00 to have a new device. Having new is worth it to me over how someone else could have handled the device before me.

Normally how I feel but it was too good of a deal and I saved some money. Hopefully Apple will drop new iPad minis ;)

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal

Not when I bought the 9.7 six months ago. Honestly, right NOW is a great time. Very good prices on the 9.7 if you don't need the 'juice' of the 10.5.

Also, refurbished from Apple is VERY GOOD. From my understanding, new Apple products come off the line and as long as the line is under x% of defects the lot is good to sell.. versus a refurbished item is repaired by hand.. one by one. I have bought MANY refurbished from Apple and all have been amazing. I am setting up a refurbished 2015 13" MBP right now and it is flawless.. battery cycle of 1.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I think going to best buy and sell your video games (if you game) for credits would help.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
Not when I bought the 9.7 six months ago. Honestly, right NOW is a great time. Very good prices on the 9.7 if you don't need the 'juice' of the 10.5.

Also, refurbished from Apple is VERY GOOD. From my understanding, new Apple products come off the line and as long as the line is under x% of defects the lot is good to sell.. versus a refurbished item is repaired by hand.. one by one. I have bought MANY refurbished from Apple and all have been amazing. I am setting up a refurbished 2015 13" MBP right now and it is flawless.. battery cycle of 1.

Apple refurb is $470 BUT new at Best Buy is $424 (32GB non-cellular. All 9.7s are $175 off at BB)

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Best Buy has the pro 9.7 at 350 on sale now

Dang, now it makes my decision even harder. I was going to the Apple store today to upgrade my air 2 to a 10.5.

According to the apple recycle site, they'd give me $200 for the air 2. Gamestop would give me about $150 cash for it. Take the cash and get the 9.7 pro for $200 out the door? No tax in Florida this weekend. Or get the 10.5 for $429 out the door with the education pricing and after trade in. I'd get free beats that I don't really need/want. So I could sell those.

I'd probably skip the applecare if I got the 9.7 so that would save me another $99.

Reactions: Broadus

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Don't go lowest memory if that helps. Yeah.. I'm selling a 128GB WiFi/Cellular IPP 9.7 & I will be taking a hit. Not ready to take the $275 from Apple yet though.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Last year Best Buy and Target had pre-Black Friday sales starting in early Nov. There seemed to be an iPad on sale every week -- mostly WiFi. Cellular doesn't go on sale as often.

There is always quality online resellers like Adorama and B and H Photo. No sales tax except NY/NJ so that is like saving 6-9%. They frequently discount as well.

If you live in an area with MicroCenter they currently have $50 off iPP 10.5 and $20 off iPP 12.9. I think $30 off the regular iPad.
[doublepost=1501938795][/doublepost]
Dang, now it makes my decision even harder. I was going to the Apple store today to upgrade my air 2 to a 10.5.

According to the apple recycle site, they'd give me $200 for the air 2. Gamestop would give me about $150 cash for it. Take the cash and get the 9.7 pro for $200 out the door? No tax in Florida this weekend. Or get the 10.5 for $429 out the door with the education pricing and after trade in. I'd get free beats that I don't really need/want. So I could sell those.

I'd probably skip the applecare if I got the 9.7 so that would save me another $99.

Take the Apple trade in and sell the Beats. You'll net about $75 on eBay after fees and shipping. With no sales tax too the 10.5 is a no brainer in your situation. Much bigger difference between the Air2 and the 10.5 than the iPP 9.7. Apple Care isn't necessary. Most credit cards double your warranty -- you might have to register the iPad with your CC's warranty manager so read the fine print.

Last edited:

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Last year Best Buy and Target had pre-Black Friday sales starting in early Nov. There seemed to be an iPad on sale every week -- mostly WiFi. Cellular doesn't go on sale as often.

There is always quality online resellers like Adorama and B and H Photo. No sales tax except NY/NJ so that is like saving 6-9%. They frequently discount as well.

If you live in an area with MicroCenter they currently have $50 off iPP 10.5 and $20 off iPP 12.9. I think $30 off the regular iPad.
[doublepost=1501938795][/doublepost]

Take the Apple trade in and sell the Beats. You'll net about $75 on eBay after fees and shipping. With no sales tax too the 10.5 is a no brainer in your situation. Much bigger difference between the Air2 and the 10.5 than the iPP 9.7. Apple Care isn't necessary. Most credit cards double your warranty -- you might have to register the iPad with your CC's warranty manager so read the fine print.

I'm leaning more towards the 9.7 because of resolution issues. How many of my older apps will be updated to to the 10.5 resolution ? The 12.9 been out for 2 years and some major apps haven't been updated for that screen size. Don't want to deal with upscaling.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'm leaning more towards the 9.7 because of resolution issues. How many of my older apps will be updated to to the 10.5 resolution ? The 12.9 been out for 2 years and some major apps haven't been updated for that screen size. Don't want to deal with upscaling.

Honestly, I just bought a 12.9 and haven't really come across any upscaling issues on the apps that matter to me. Some of the older stuff, yes, but I mean 32-bit stuff that will go belly up on iOS 11's arrival anyway. Long term 10.5 is here and devs will have to update just like they have for all of the various iOS screen resolution changes. Most of the stuff has been optimized and, actually the WSJ app is so much more enjoyable on the larger screen it's like night and day.

Reactions: Precursor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.