Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

passionblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Hi, I'm planning to buy the new iPhone in June and I'm wondering when I should sell my iPhone 3GS given the fact that I want the best price, and would like to avoid going without it either at all or for too long.

The way I see it my options are:

1) Sell it now
2) Sell it right before the new iPhone comes out
3) Sell it right after the new iPhone comes out
4) A little bit after the new iPhone comes out

Ideally I'd like to sell my 3GS like the day the new one is released so I don't have to go without an iPhone, but do you think it would be better to sacrifice to hopefully make more from the sale? I'm planning to cancel my contract (I'm on a family plan, not the primary line) and pay the ETF of ~$150, then start a new contract and pay $200 plus the activation fee, so depending on how much I can get on eBay I'd like to only pay around $100-150 if possible.

Edit: Oh also, I have OS 3.1.3 does jailbreaking/unlocking/leaving apps on the phone increase the price it will go for on ebay, or does anyone else have any tips to maximize the ebay sale price?

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hi, I'm planning to buy the new iPhone in June and I'm wondering when I should sell my iPhone 3GS given the fact that I want the best price, and would like to avoid going without it either at all or for too long.

1) Sell it now

Ideally I'd like to sell my 3GS like the day the new one is released so I don't have to go without an iPhone, but do you think it would be better to sacrifice to hopefully make more from the sale? I'm planning to cancel my contract (I'm on a family plan, not the primary line) and pay the ETF of ~$150, then start a new contract and pay $200 plus the activation fee, so depending on how much I can get on eBay I'd like to only pay around $100-150 if possible.

Edit: Oh also, I have OS 3.1.3 does jailbreaking/unlocking/leaving apps on the phone increase the price it will go for on ebay, or does anyone else have any tips to maximize the ebay sale price?

Doesn't really matter at this point. Sell it day of if you want.

Can't unlock a 3GS with 3.1.3.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009

1) Sell it now

There's a minimum wait time (60-90 days I think), before you can start a new contract.

Your best bet is to open a 2nd line to get the new iPhone, transfer you sim and cancel the new line after a month of service.

passionblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
There's a minimum wait time (60-90 days I think), before you can start a new contract.

Your best bet is to open a 2nd line to get the new iPhone, transfer you sim and cancel the new line after a month of service.
That's what I thought, but I just called AT&T Customer Service and the representative assured me that there's nothing stopping me from canceling my contract and immediately signing a new one.

Savetheempire

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
That's what I thought, but I just called AT&T Customer Service and the representative assured me that there's nothing stopping me from canceling my contract and immediately signing a new one.

So was the customer service rep saying it wouldn't be a problem to cancel and sign a new one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.