When is the iPhone 5 expected to be released?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrmcpang, Oct 4, 2011.

1. mrmcpang macrumors newbie

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What the hell? How would anyone possibly have any information on which to base an expectation?

4. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

It was expected to be released today.

/thread

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Honestly, the numbering system is all effed up now - it should be iPhone 6 next time. So we may never see an iPhone 5.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

There will be no iPhone 5. The next iPhone will be The iPhone 6 in 2012.

7. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

So to answer your question accurately, October 14, 2011.

8. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Excuse me... I know!
    Sometime after the iPhone 4S :D

In the words of the Monday Countdown Crew - C,mon Man!

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

Never, next will be the iPhone 6. I'd say late summer 2012 at the very earliest. More likely fall.

11. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

What they said.
    The iPhone 4S is the iPhone 5. Next will be the 6.

12. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I'd say Fall 2012. Apple is going to milk this thing as long as they can. They know no matter how far it falls behind... it's an iPhone and people will just keep on throwing down cash for it.

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It will most certainly be the iPhone 5 _If_ Apple incorporates the A5 CPU.

However now that Apples fallen so far behind their typical product cycle time line it's a real crap shoot, as to what they'll do. Making matters worse is the possibility of serious push back from those Apple enthusiast with the courage and free thinking to speak out against the debacle we witnessed today.

Offset by throngs of Apple apologists, who are now working overtime to justify the meager results of todays snooze fest, Apple may break from the past practice of sequential model names.

Given the fact there's been a widely reported A6 chip in the works for what was to be iPhone 6 before the recent developments, perhaps Apple with attempt to diffuse the weak showing today by rushing the next major upgrade to market.

The risk of a move like that is Apples declining, precarious and somewhat sketchy quality control. The first instance of Antennagate was bad enough. Now with the announcement of an even more complex and convoluted dual dynamic antenna system, it will be surprising if Apple succeeds in improving phone call performance.

One things for sure, Apple has further fueled their reputation as a highly polarizing company. This is one movie that will prove very captivating.

14. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

God, now you just don't know with Apple. They're all over the place. If we do end up getting a rough estimate for iPhone 5 release within the next few months, Apple will end up pushing it back.

It's just hopeless right now. Hopefully Apple learns just how big of a disappointment this is (not in terms of sales... the 4S, 4, and 3GS will still sell incredibly well), but in terms of innovation. Not what Apple calls innovation (because apparently that's just adding a new camera and A5 chip to a Verizon CDMA iPhone 4), but what we have come to expect from Steve Jobs's type of innovation.

15. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

I think your numbering is off, iphone 4S is not the iphone 5. You can't get to 6 without hitting 5 first. Just sayin'.....

16. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

iPhone = 1
    iPhone 3G = 2
    iPhone 3GS = 3
    iPhone 4 = 4
    iPhone 4S = 5
    iPhone 6 = 6

17. TLewis macrumors 65816

lol, seriously: probably around this time next year.

It makes a lot of sense for Apple to release the iPad and iPhone around 6 months apart (which will make the quarterly financials look better, possibly because people will buy both).

18. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Sorry guys, but you're all in for another disappointment then. The next generation iPhone will come out 1 year from now, next October. Why?

I spoke with an Apple Store Manager at my local Apple Store (which is the biggest in the city, and i live in a big city). And he said that Apple staggered the release of it's products, because the iPhone was eating into the iPad's sales. So from now until for a little while we can expect..

Spring: iPad event
    Summer: OS X and iOS event at WWDC
    Fall: iPhone event

The next iPhone will be a 6, not a 5. Apple has decided to skip the 5 number altogether. Maybe they'll skip 13 too?

19. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I do not know which is worse.

The idiot that asked this question.

or the bigger idiot that I am for even responding.

20. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

There is no "expected" release time. It will come out when it comes out. Maybe in the spring, maybe in the summer, maybe in the fall. Who knows. I think the only "safe bet" is "not 2011"

But this whole "we expect Apple to release it by X or Y despite having 0 indication from Apple that they plan to do so" is PRECISELY what led to people holding off buying iPhone 4s for 8+ months because the new one was "expected" to come out in the early summer.

If you are in the market for a phone, look at your available options and pick one. Don't "wait" for something that may never be.

This kind of speculation is also what led to all the disappointments. Apple said nothing, in that void people filled the air with talks of new designs, 4G connectivity, and other geek wish list items. When they didn't materialize, its somehow Apple's fault.

Now people who would have normally loved the new product (and it IS a good product on its own merits) are "disappointed" because their wish list items didn't come true.

21. TLewis macrumors 65816

This. People are just in denial over the new reality. :p

22. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

all i have to say is REALLY. they just released a new phone today. everything is different on the inside. why not just ask everyday when the new phone is coming out..tomorrow ask when the 6s is supposed to be out then the day after ask about the 7 or 8 if they are jumping years.
    what you should just be asking when is the next press conference and watch and see what new products come out and don't get into all the hyped up rumors unless it comes from apple themselves.

23. mrmcpang thread starter macrumors newbie

You sound like a generic hostile internet troll. I was simply asking an honest question. Please explain to me why I'm an idiot.