When is the last STABLE 17" MacBook Pro release?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by logicstudiouser, Aug 15, 2014.

1. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

From what I am hearing:
    All the 2011 releases (early and late 2011) are having problems. What about 2010 or 2009?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

2010 models suffered from NVIDIAgate as well - the GT330M issue.

If I were you, I'd buy a 2011 variant and have a third party reball a new GPU in with leaded solder, as well as replacing the thermal paste on the GPU and CPU.

3. logicstudiouser thread starter macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

Thanks for the tip. I couldn't believe it, but I ended up finding a manufacturer refurbished model of the 17" 2.5 GHz version from Electronic King. Comes with 1 year limited warranty with the ability to add applecare. I'll at least be covered until 2017. I will definitely take your advice above as soon as I get it!

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Go add AppleCare for it, just in case the logic board fails 3 times during the covered period, they'll give you a top-end 15" rMBP for free.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Which would mean it's not a 17" laptop anymore ;)

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

They don't make them any more. A high-res 15" is better than a non-working 17" ;)

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

At least the 2011 17" can be resurrected to work for a few more years after a reball :)

8. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava

My personal argument why I prefer a 15" rMBP over a 17" is only its retina display.

9. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

Be wary of electronic king, they didn't honour my warranty when i bought it from them. box was opened, warrantee was expired years earlier and they were no help.
    Very shoddy business if you ask me.
    Be wary.

10. logicstudiouser thread starter macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

I'll be on their case if warranty is not exactly as they promised. They already assured me before purchase that the day I purchase, is the 'purchase date' as it will show up on Apple's website when typing in the serial number to lookup the warranty.

11. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

i HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt you can buy Applecare on it. In fact, pretty sure it's impossible if it's not through apple.

12. logicstudiouser thread starter macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

I'll let you know when it arrives. I do have buyer protection and I have email records of their responses if anything is inaccurate. They seem to have a very high feedback rating and the buyer protection gives me peace of mind.
    It will be the first thing I check when I receive it.

13. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

This. ^^

The last MBP 17" produced would be far beyond the allowed time to add Apple Care. Especially if it was refurbished.

I suspect that the dealer is referring to their own warranty. It would be a violation of their reseller agreement with Apple if they are advertising Apple Care for EOL products.