When is the new i phone coming out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcanadiensfan63, Nov 16, 2008.

1. mcanadiensfan63 macrumors member

im just wondering if its worth it to get the i phone 3g for christmas or if i should wait if another one will come out soon after

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

New features will come around always.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Not for quite a while. The only thing you might expect is a 32GB version in January. But no real update (other than software) should be expected until around 2010.

and it's iPhone, not i phone.

4. mcanadiensfan63 thread starter macrumors member

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Not even remotely funny...

7. kleinias macrumors regular

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Good, because I wasn't trying to be funny.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You're honestly suggesting s/he wait until almost 2010?

10. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

there will be new features probable at macworld. Major changes will probably come around july 2009

11. sjo macrumors 6502a

no need to wait until 2010. there will be significant iphone hardware update next year, january the earliest, june/july the latest. in addition it's possible that a 32g version is introduced during first half next year as well as price cuts on the current models.

12. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

lol no

13. svndmvn Guest

the iPhone is the new Mac Mini, it won't be updated for a looong time, don't consider a storage bump an update,and anyway, you know they slowed down production,right?
    updating the iPhone to 32 GB would meen giving us 64GB iPod touches, and they have been updated in September, they will probably not be updated earlier than next September..By Christmas 09 you can see for both some storage bumps, nothing serious in my opinion, as the ones that are waiting for huge storages are not possible new customers to apple, they probably already have a classic iPod and a 4/8/16 GB iPhone,no need to worry from Apple's part.
    the most important part is the OS,and updates,surprising ones,will be coming to original iPhones as well..Buy now or later, no one on this forum cares

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Nope. I was basing it on what the OP asked in his first post. It sounds like he is going to buy one at Christmas and wanted to know if 32BG was coming soon thereafter. If I didn't need a new phone, I'd probably wait at that point. But if I needed a phone, or really desired one, then I would probably go ahead and buy. I guess it's all about your personal willingness to wait.

On a completely different note, I'm amazed at the amount of people that don't even read what the latest discussions are before starting a thread. I'm not talking about using the search function -- I'm talking about reading the threads on the first page! There are usually 2 or 3 differnt discussions on the very thread that is started. Why should they expect others to continually repeat themselves when they (the OPs) can't even take 3 minutes to read for themselves? This is isn't directed towards you at all....my thoughts are for all of the lazy people out there who can't seem to use a forum for what it's for.

But back on topic, if I were going ot buy at Christmas, I'd probably wait a month or two to see what's in store.

Bryan

15. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Lol...This would be the age-old electronics question.

Granted, do you think that when the 32g model comes out they'll drop the 8g? and make the 16g the current 8g price?

I have a 16g and love it to death...
    My dad wants to buy my mom one now, and if a new size will come out in January...he would wait an extra month, and just load her up with accessories for the holidays. :)

I think he said that if it even falls after February for the new release, he would just get her one now.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The new iPhone comes out the day after you buy one.

17. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Shoot...with my family's luck...it would be announced the hour after purchase. :D

18. Mister9 macrumors regular

yeah I was about to start a forum about this- I've been patiently awaiting my sprint contract to run up and it does Dec 12.. but i just checked the Buyer's Guide on here and now I'm depressed. I was getting all excited.

19. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

happens all the time...

people seem to have a need to believe that when they want an iPhone the "new one" is coming out with all kinds of features including 32GB when the current architecture doesn't even have room for two needed slots for that size.

20. kzoojason76 macrumors member

If the new iPhone comes out within 30 days of your purchase, couldn't you just return your old iPhone, and upgrade to the new one? If they do a price bump (16 GB drops to the price of the 8 GB), couldn't you return (if within 30 day) and either get the larger capacity iPhone, or get your money back for the difference?

- Jason

21. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

it might be 14 days?

at least at the apple store.

22. svndmvn Guest

wrong...announced the day after you buy one AND shipped/sold 15 days later

23. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I am hoping for a 32 in Jan since my music just topped 15gb. (Small, I know.)

I think a real, proper update will occur ~September, give or take a month. Apple just likes to do it that way.

Anyone ever check Jobs out for OCD?

Aren't there 32gb single chips?

Link - I don't really think this is too credible, but you never know.

24. milani macrumors 68000

milani

There are so many threads on this topic and they evolve exactly the same. Some people believe that Apple is going to release a new iPhone every year, and so if that were true you should wait until the new year. However, that's quite frankly ridiculous, and it won't happen.

You might as well get your iPhone and enjoy it because the chances of Apple releasing a new device any time soon are slim to nil. The iPhone will stay competitive by firmware updates, and the App Store. Combined, Apple doesn't need to release new devices to compete in the market because (besides a couple gripes that have been repeated 50,000 times now), Apple built it right to begin with. It's all about software, and that means that the iPhone won't be obsolete for some time, and thus won't be replaced for some time.

However, if you feel you want a 32GB model (which doesn't yet exist), it might be worth your while to wait until January to see if any news of that model comes out. Personally I don't think it will happen until the next model of the iPhone is released (i.e. iPhone 3 or 4G - assumg it pairs the development of the 4G network (in like 4 years) - or whatever it will be called), for the reason stated above - the current iPhone's architecture can't fit that size of storage (unless the storage size shrinks, which could happen).

So is it worth your wait? It's entirely your call.