When is the new OS being released?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macuser1232, Feb 25, 2012.

1. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Hey I've heard about Mac's new OS that will be coming out and it has even better virus protection. Hopefully it will also have some significant and good changes unlike Lion's minor changes. That is why I still have Snow Leopard and saved my money. So, when will the new OS be released?

2. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Better virus protection than none? I'd like to see that.

3. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

All of Apple's Ipods have absolutely 0% chance of getting a virus. Apple's Macs have really good virus protection but not 0% chance.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there really is no virus protection on Macs, there just hasn't been a virus written that exploits a vulnerability in OS X.

as for Mountain Lion's release i'd interpret Late Summer to mean Late August or sometime in September.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Currently, Macs have zero chance of getting a virus because none exist.

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Very likely at the appropriate time.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not virus protection as much as malware as the apps need to be signed. If they're not signed then Mountain Lion will issue a warning.

As for when ML will be released - apple has only stated summer, so that gives us a June to September window

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, since Snow Leopard Apple included a feature known as XProtect that checks downloads against a short list of the known malware in the wild. It's updated every night automatically in 10.6.6 or later (IIRC). While it's very simple, it's more than enough for now and should protect the vast majority of people more than effectively, though of course practicing safe browsing habits will more than likely make even that simple protection unnecessary.

jW